Oranda not well - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > General Freshwater

General Freshwater General Freshwater fish discussions

Old 11-13-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
kat350

Default Oranda not well

Hi all. I am new on this site and hoping to get some advice on my oranda. For the last six weeks he doesn't swim properly, gasps for air, lies on his side, hides in corners, lays down often.
Have tried metronidazole, maracyn 2, triple sulphur and fish still the same. Fish eats, poops well. Fish has red streaks still for last two months and i give up. My life is spent doing water changes. Dors anyone have any ideas APART from obvious wster changes. Thankyou, Kathrine.
kat350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
FRIENDLYFISHIES

Sorry Kathrine, I really dont know. How old is the Oranda? Have you checked for parasites? Are any of the other goldfish behaving at all oddly? How old is she? How long have you had her? Is she in a home aquarium or outdoor pond? What size is the tank/filtration/how often do you change the water?
Could be ammonia poisoning due to not enough water changes or not a big enough percentage? More info on tank size, tank mates and care may help us help you.
20 gallon long planted tetra tank
2x 10 gallon planted betta tanks
FRIENDLYFISHIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
kat350

Default sick oranda

About 1 year old, 38 litre tank, fluval filter. Used to be in 200 litre tank with 2 others the same age now quarantined byself. Fish is alert, eats well poops well but swims lopsided , sometimes swims normally. Cant see any parasites. Has red streaks which will not go. Tried everything except worm tablets. In desperation i even gave him the vets meds crushed up in eyedroper and put down his throat. Only a little bit for 3 days. Done everything, peas, no food, meds. Alwsys had 3/4 weekly water changes. water is crystal clear. I give up.
kat350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
emc7

I don't know either. You need to ask goldfish keepers specifically. Look at sites like goldfishconnection.com
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
FRIENDLYFISHIES

I'm thinking along the lines of swim bladder, i think I've read in the past that goldfish are more likely to have problems with swim bladder due to their chunky short bodies. ..I guess it could just be permanent damage and i would assume the red lines would be stress lines? I dont have much experience with goldies or luck, they always seem to get sick easily imo. Emcs right, you may have better luck with goldfish forum on this particular question unless someone else with more goldfish experience chimes in. If it were me and I had done all those treatment and nothing worked I'd probably be at a point where is just do my best to give the goldfish a good rest of its life and stop stressing it with all the meds.

Last edited by FRIENDLYFISHIES; 11-15-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
emc7

red lines in fins are usually septicemia, what they used to call "blood poisoning", a systemic bacteria infection. Its kind of weird that its not kilning the fish faster.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
FRIENDLYFISHIES

Blood poisoning as in too high of nitrites over a long period of time, brown blood? Or different?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
emc7

The only other thing I can suggest is metro-meds. A medicated food might help if the problem is in the gut. Its hard to tread infection via the water.

The site also sells oil of cloves if you decide you really are done w/ the fish.

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/sh...ctId=9&catId=5
Old 11-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
mousey

I had a 14 year old oranda that developed red streaks in his tail-- not to be confused with the normal red veins in an albino fish.
I treated him with tetracycline with some fairly good results twice. Then about 3 months later he developed dropsy. Antibiotics did not help at that stage and he did die. Sorry for the bad news.
Do try the goldfish forums as your fish is quite young.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement