Oscars in a 56 gallon tank - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > General Freshwater

General Freshwater General Freshwater fish discussions

Old 11-25-2012, 03:37 AM   #1
Mike H.

Default Oscars in a 56 gallon tank

Ok, so I haven't bought the fish or anything except for the tank. Now its a 56 gallon column tank. its much deeper and taller than the normal 55 gallon tank is. So i was wandering weather or not i would be ok to put two Oscars in it? Please give me your opinions. Thanks.
Mike H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
weedkiller

i wanted oscars but decided against it, believe mine is around 50 us gallon and even being a corner unit so it is deeper from front to back it is still too small for one, the research i did kept saying 55 us gal for one but to be fair to the fish i would say more like 70 us gal as they do grow very large, as to how much to add for x2 my personal opinion would be add 30 us gal, ive known friends to own oscars in a 70 gal and they seem very angry all the time, maybe its cos the not enough room to swing a fish and most tanks are not very large from front to back.
the choice is yours at the end of the day, i opted for x2 smaller american cichlids (still cycling so yet to buy them) that grow to about 8 inches so their domain seems bigger and hopefully makes them happier longterm.
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Mega Clown Pleco
3 Guppies
weedkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Maine_Fish

Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
Ok, so I haven't bought the fish or anything except for the tank. Now its a 56 gallon column tank. its much deeper and taller than the normal 55 gallon tank is. So i was wandering weather or not i would be ok to put two Oscars in it? Please give me your opinions. Thanks.
In my opinion, that tank would be way too small for a couple mature Oscars.

If you have your heart set on cichlids, there are smaller varieties that would be fine in that tank. Might make a really nice Angelfish setup. Have fun!
Maine_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Obsidian
Administrator

I would not do it. A column tank would probably take away from swimming room. Though Oscars do kind of meander more than some other cichilds, they are still cichlids. They will get large, and you will want them to be able to turn around and swim etc. And 2 of them in those small quarters would be an issue. Not because of temperaments especially, Oscars have a reputation for being mean, but because of their size. And the smaller swimming space does mean that when they chase each other they will have an easier job causing damage, as there is no real room to get away.

For Oscars, personally I would go with a 75-100ga tank, the bigger the better.

20 Long: 1 Juli Corycat, 4 red line tetra's, 3 Von Rio tetra, 1 Flame tetra 1 Rubber lipped pleco, 1 Curviceps cichlid, 1 blue tetra.

5.5ga- 1 Beautiful Betta, 1 persnickety snail

I have green things with leafs.

Note's from Bradley: "Meow." "Yes I did say meow, and I meant it."

Note from Kiera: "Can I Play with it? Can I play with it? Can I play with it? Please? Please? Please?"

Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
Mike H.

Ok, thanks guys. I will eventually move up to a 150 gallon tank and thats when i will get my oscars.
Mike H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #6
lohachata
Super Moderator

i agree with the other mike...that 56 column is way too small...bear in mind that oscars can reach 18" +......i think that start with a smaller tank and move up to the 150....and the big tank will give them plenty of room to play in...once they get big remember to keep the kids away from the tank...or you'll be filing missing persons reports......lol
cool fish with great personalities though...

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement