$1 a gallon sale...need realistic advice! - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > General Freshwater

General Freshwater General Freshwater fish discussions

Old 12-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
FRIENDLYFISHIES

Default $1 a gallon sale...need realistic advice!

Oh boy... the $1 a gallon sale is incredibly tempting...I need some logical and realistic advice. I have 2 male bettas, I bought them each a 10 gallon aquarium kit 2 months ago for $27 each, planted the tanks and have them all established and everything. I spent probably $75 on each tank in the end. I perform 1 50% water change weekly and everything seems comfy cozy...but! this sale has my wheels turning...how I would LOOOOVE to spoil my boys and get them 20 gals....

Dont call me crazy for having such big homes for my boys, I love my bettas, I like them to be in big aquariums with lots of places to hide and swim, plus the tanks are 10x easier to care for as the ammonia takes forever to build so really its a win win.

So I need to get down out of my dream cloud and think realistically but I want to know what you would do...

So ive spent $75 on each 10 gallon tank all finished, this includes tank kits, plants, filters, 6500k bulbs and sand.

I could spend $40 for 2 20 gals, use the same filters that I already have and heaters, use the same plants.

I would need to purchase 1 new light strip (I have one already thats not being used), 2 glass covers, new substrate and a couple new plants.

Is it worth it to get 2 new 20 gals or should I just stick with my established 10 gals?? I would go from doing a 50% water change once a week to doing a 50% water change every other week! the ammonia builds so slow for bettas in large spaces makes the time id save cleaning and just being able to watch the fish seem worth it to it me. The fish would love the additional space and I may even be able to add a couple of otto's or white cloud minnows... But this is why I need your advice...sit tight with what I have and not spend the money or spend the money while the tanks are on sale and give them bigger better homes!? lol.
20 gallon long planted tetra tank
2x 10 gallon planted betta tanks

Last edited by FRIENDLYFISHIES; 12-27-2012 at 02:43 PM.
FRIENDLYFISHIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
emc7

IMO, bigger is better, even for little single fish. lol. Glass covers can be expensive, check online also. You can use your 10g lights on a 20, but you may have to play games like putting your live plants in the middle and up on a shelf..

It sounds like you have MTS. Personally, I think you should leave your 10s alone and also set up a 40 breeder. Move the tetra up, put a betta in the 20, have 1 10 for QT/hosp.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Maine_Fish

LOL...I can totally relate to your dilemma. I'm always dreaming about my next tank and/or size upgrade. A good deal is hard to resist.

At the end of the day, I'd say it's really a matter of personal preference and your financial resources. Is a 10 gallon sufficient for a betta? I'd say so. However, a bigger tank is never really a "bad" idea if you have the money, time, and space for it. I think bigger tanks tend to be more stable and provide you with more options when it comes to stocking and decorating.

If you upgrade, perhaps you could add some fish. My daughter once had a 20 gallon in her room with a betta, a few albino cories, and a small school of neon tetras...cool tank to watch.

Good luck...and have fun!
Maine_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
kcrunch

I saw a $1 gallon sale on dealnews too. I would say to you go for it, bigger is always better and from what I read it is always the answer. I want to do another 100g in the wall same as the den but this one between the dining room and the kitchen, just have to talk the wife into it which might take some doing and time...... But I say GO FOR IT>>>>>
kcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
lohachata
Super Moderator

the largest tank in the sale is a 55....i would love to pick up a bunch of the 40 breeders and 20 longs...and a pile of 15s as well....

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
BV77

Cheap glass covers can be had locally. Take measurements, allowing for the filter and other accessories in the rear. Ask for 1/8" double strength glass. The glass co. will gladly cut it to your specs and smooth the edges for you.
BV77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
FRIENDLYFISHIES

I think youve all talked me into it...

@ Loha- ive been tossing around the 55 and dividing it but I dont know if it will fit on my work desk LOL ...We dont get the 15's in Maine I wish we did! Thats my fav size tank.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
FRIENDLYFISHIES

BV77- SWEET! Im going to have to contact someone soon to custum cut some glass for my bearded dragon enclosure! It would be ideal timing
Old 12-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
TheOldSalt
Darth Ichthyos

Ah, MTS ( multiple Tank Syndrome )... I'm afraid there is no cure, so enjoy it!
You can never have enough tanks, anyway.

Unless you're trying to grow live plants, the equipment for the 10's can be used for 20's just as well. You can even just move the filters to the 20's and have the 20's almost instantly cycled as a result.
TheOldSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
MainelyFish

ya I have a case of MTS just picked up a 20 gallon tank and my excuse was it was for my son... haha...

Friendly, call Portland glass they have done some window stuff for me custom size and they were surprisingly affordable... they have a place right on Lisbon street in lewiston just past the move theater heading out of town...
MainelyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
lohachata
Super Moderator

MTS........hah!!!!!! you guys would freak if you saw my driveway.....lol

go for the gusto girl....you can always keep the 10s as hospital tanks of for quarantine tanks for when you get new fish....

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest

Last edited by lohachata; 12-31-2012 at 06:05 AM.
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
FRIENDLYFISHIES

lol yall are awesome! I deffinitely have MTS! Its a problem. Theres a new thread idea! MTS support group anonymous =P... I dont know if Ill be able to get two 20's :/ but I am aiming for one for sure! I havent had a chance to get back there im hoping they still have them in stock when I do...
Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 AM   #13
0828Dawn
Fishy Member

Here's a thought, why not divide (store or diy silicone'd in place) a tank...then you could do something like a full canopy/hood light...notch the back of the hood for your filters (1 for each side)...and you could "hide" the heaters on the far right/left sides of the glass which will keep your back looking neat/less cluttered.

If you're trying to keep prices at a minimum look online, CL, and even Ebay if you'll need additional equipment. If you're handy go the diy route (homemade stand, lexan with drilled holes for a divider, could even use lexan for a top in place of the standard glass canopy. Substrate could be cheap pea-gravel or pool filter sand from a pool/spa store, filtration could be as simple as a sponge type filter. Toss a few broad leaf plants in for the bettas to lounge on and call it a day
Advertisement