HELP....Nitrate Problems and Algae - Page 2 - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > General Freshwater

General Freshwater General Freshwater fish discussions

Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #16
meximan

GRRRRrr.....Im really trying not to solve this problem via the Shotgun method , and buying anything and everthing to remove/reduce nitrates...

Did another 50% water change today with RO water, let it run for a few hours and re tested the water....Im color blind so i asked 3 different people in my house what it looked like and they said 40 ppm....So i guess that may be a little progress but i would think that The change should have been more.....2x 50% water changes from a start of 80ppm . I would think that would be 80/2=40ppm /2=20 ppm...So i would hope im atleast starting to see some Changes in color in the vial.

Am i doing the right thing by Trying to reduce nitrates via water changes first...?
meximan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 12:36 AM   #17
weedkiller

yes, water changes will help, having plants will help as they munch nitrates and like i mentioned before de-nitrate or matrix, just dont add chems...
it is a balttle you can win, i often got irritated by it, felt i was getting nowhere, tried various things but always found the nitrates would climb, 1/2 litre of matrix for a 50gal and an r.o filter later and my nitrates are 0
dont let it beat you
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Mega Clown Pleco
3 Guppies
weedkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #18
meximan

Got too much moneys invested now to give up :P

Ive been looking around alot at plants today...So far i like.
Dwarf hairgrass
Java and Xmas moss
anacharis

stopped by the fish store today and they didnt carry purigen or De-nitrate >.< Might have to order it online.

thanks for the help everyone...I tested my GF's water a mile down the road from me...hers was at 20ppm nitrate..GRRRR...Maybe its the Pipes or something?
Dont really like the Floating plants and i dont want to Pick them out every week either.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #19
weedkiller

order some food grade water carriers from fleabay um ebay lol and get water from the girlfriends... problem resolved lol
dont know too much about which plants are best myself so someone else who is may help there...
order your de-nitrate online it will be cheaper, i saved 10 by getting online rather than the store for my matrix, also if you are likely to upgrade your filter to a faster flow might be worth considering matrix, same stuff except bigger and consider how much you will need for your tank for it to be effective, is 1/2 litre for my 50gal and also remember you never need to change it, just clean it in used water
if you think ahead you will save in the long run
*wash your matrix/de-nitrate in dechlorinated water to lose the dust 1st*
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Mega Clown Pleco
3 Guppies
Old 01-03-2013, 01:27 AM   #20
meximan

Ya i thought about stealing her water, but even so its still at the "higher" point of the safe zone right? I figured if i use enough RO water that i could get my nitrates down Via this method and then manage it with plants/ and regular RO water changes?

MY darn Lamp eyes are acting weird now too...They were schooling awesome for the last few weeks i have had them. 5 of them...and now they are acting territorial, one has been chasing the other fish around the tank aggressively . Not sure if that due to stress/water conditions or IF that fish just got on the rag >.<
Old 01-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #21
emc7

dwarf hairgrass needs a lot of light. Moss helps, but it can be slow-growing. Try elodea or hornwort. Yea it looks like a floating weed, but it might make some headway.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:58 AM   #22
weedkiller

20ppm is fine, the higher point is much higher but the lower the better, dont use r.o neat, if you used it with your girlfriends water at 50/50 then your nitrate would be about 10ppm or thereabouts which is ideal, dont be scared of nitrates as its not as poisonous as nitrite or ammonia, and a 40ppm reading is not nothing to be scared of, if it was 80ppm them massive water change is in order lol, nitrates do not need to be 0, just the lower the better
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Mega Clown Pleco
3 Guppies
Old 01-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #23
meximan

Checked the water today. after a 3rd 50% RO water change- im at 20ppm! Figured ill leave the tank alone for a week and see if the plants start eating it up I ordered some Seachem Flourish, wasnt sure if i needed to order the Seachem excel ?

I also have been thinking about replacing the carbon filter that comes normally with the HOB filters, and using sponge, bio balls and then a Filter "mesh bag without the carbon" and stuffing that with purigen. Any suggestions to this?
Old 01-05-2013, 02:08 AM   #24
emc7

Carbon is good for taking out meds, oily films, bad smells, but isn't really necessary. Bacteria does live on it, so taking it out of the filter can trigger a "mini-cycle", so be careful (more water changes, less feeding, more testing). You don't want to take out all the media at once. At lease cut the floss off the cartridge and stuff it in with the new stuff.

I think you can buy purigen all ready in a bag,

Seachem's Flourish Excel is a "carbon supplement", really a CO2 replacement for plants growing too fast for just the CO2 from the fish. Hard to tell if you need it or any ferts. Its depends on both the plants and the light. Certainly, you don't need to supplement nitrate. Its worth a shot if you are growing more algae than plants, but be very careful dosing everything you add to a tank. It is very easy to kill fish with "supplements".

Seachem's stuff is expensive, but IMO, one of the best supported product lines. Check out their website and e-mail or call them for help. They may be able answer the purigen vs. matrix and to excel or not to excel and how much to use questions far better than we can.

Write down everything you do to that tank and keep us posted.

Last edited by emc7; 01-05-2013 at 02:11 AM.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #25
meximan

Planted some anacharis and it looks like IT's getting eatin! GRRRRR! Guess i cant win!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #26
Vayurules
Always Learning

If you want, Aquaclears are a good line of HOB filters. They come with carbon, but it's not needed like emc said. They have sponges, ceramic bead-like items called Bio-Max, a breeding ground for good bacteria, and you can replace the carbon with anything really. (Peat pellets, ammonia removers, etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #27
lohachata
Super Moderator

ok...i really hate to be a pain but ............
about the only chemical i use is a dechlorinating agent...no ups or downs..i can't even remember when i last tested a tank , but i know it was before most folks on here were born...and i keep telling people over and over and over...

" THE MORE YOU MESS WITH YOUR TANKS ; THE MORE PROBLEMS YOU CAUSE FOR YOURSELF "

now...with that said...how did you know that your nitrates were high ? yes , i know ; you teseted the water....why did you test the water ?..in the middle of a cycle ?
personally i think your test kits are giving false readings..have you called your city water department yet ? they should be able to tell you everything about your water as well as to why your nitrates are so high....i suggest you try not to worry so much about things...call the water dept...keep up with your water changes...i really don't think you are losing tetras because of the nitrates..just my opinion though..
your brown algae may not be algae...could possibly be diatoms..is it just kind of a brown slime that covers everything ? that's diatoms...maybe you are overfeeding the tank a bit...it should go away eventually...

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement