I can't tell if my fish r sick - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > General Freshwater

General Freshwater General Freshwater fish discussions

Old 01-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
Bryan619
Bryan619

Default I can't tell if my fish r sick

My wife was bored w our tank and wanted new fish. Agaisnt my better judgement I tried to introduce 2 new fish to my tank that has been set up for about 6 months with the same fish. Both new fish ended up being bullied by one fish and died in a couple days. Now none of my other fish r acting different. Maybe a little more aggression in the bala sharks towards each other. But now I notice white spots on the bala sharks but only when te light catches them just right. I can't tell if its the light reflecting off their scales that makes it look like the scattered white spots or if its ich. Any suggestions?
Bryan619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Bryan619
Bryan619

I don't notice any spots on any other fish. Everything else seems completely normal. I raised the temp from 78 to 82 and starting putting a light dose of seachem paraguard in the tank. I regularly do 2 25% water changes a week
Old 01-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
RaynoVox
Fishy Member

Can he be quarantined? Actual white spots are a later stage of ich, basically when its in full bloom. They can be a card carrying member without showing any signs, yet.
RaynoVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Angelclown

Is the bala shark scratching on the decor or gravel? If so, then it is ich. Keep raising the temp to 86 degrees, this will speed up the life cycle of the ich. I would also medicate the main tank, follow directions on the bottle. If you have sensitive fish, then you will have to half dose the medicine. Sensitive fish include clown loaches, neon tetras, etc.
Angelclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Bryan619
Bryan619

There not flashing or rubbing. Thu may be a little more aggresive than normal. But just spots when the lift catches them the right way
Old 01-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
Obsidian
Administrator

They will not necessarily flash or scratch if they have ich, though if they are doing it then it helps to solidify the diagnosis.

I would do the temp and salt solution. Even if only one shows the spots- they all have it. Raise temp to 86 degrees, add aquarium salt per instructions on box.

If you have smooth fish (loaches itc) then you will not want to add full strength.

If you have snails you will want to avoid the salt- snails tend to hate salt. With snails though the solution is easy- pull the snails and put them in a bowl of water, then just change the water in the bowl every day until you are ready to put them back into the tank. Obviously this is effective for things like mystery snails that are easy to pull from a tank. If you have MTS and want them all there then just avoid the salt.

Crustaceans and invertebrates in general will have a hard time with pretty much any medication you go to so follow instructions carefully if you have them.

20 Long: 1 Juli Corycat, 4 red line tetra's, 3 Von Rio tetra, 1 Flame tetra 1 Rubber lipped pleco, 1 Curviceps cichlid, 1 blue tetra.

5.5ga- 1 Beautiful Betta, 1 persnickety snail

I have green things with leafs.

Note's from Bradley: "Meow." "Yes I did say meow, and I meant it."

Note from Kiera: "Can I Play with it? Can I play with it? Can I play with it? Please? Please? Please?"

Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
Bryan619
Bryan619

Thanks guys. Does aquarium salt go bad? I got some with a tank I bought used and it seems pretty old. The box is in good shape but the salt is clumped inside. It's easy to break apart. Should I just pick up more salt? Is salt ok w a catfish?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Obsidian
Administrator

Naw, it's fine. Just dilute it BEFORE you put it in the tank. Don't just add the salt right to the water. The fish will peck on it otherwise- not good for them.

20 Long: 1 Juli Corycat, 4 red line tetra's, 3 Von Rio tetra, 1 Flame tetra 1 Rubber lipped pleco, 1 Curviceps cichlid, 1 blue tetra.

5.5ga- 1 Beautiful Betta, 1 persnickety snail

I have green things with leafs.

Note's from Bradley: "Meow." "Yes I did say meow, and I meant it."

Note from Kiera: "Can I Play with it? Can I play with it? Can I play with it? Please? Please? Please?"

Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement