Water Changes made simple - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > General Freshwater

General Freshwater General Freshwater fish discussions

Old 01-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
kcrunch

Default Water Changes made simple

I have been trying and trying to find a way to simplify my water changes and after research and messy failures I have finally found a simple water change format. Here's How I did it:

! on the tank a mark has been made for the amount of 20g to be removed.
2. I picked up a decent submersible from LFS
3. added a 4 foot hose to the submersible
4. purchased one of the strongest 20g garbage pails that I could find.
the pail is very stout and rigid.

I used the submersible to remove the water as well as to put it back in the tank, I was done in less than 20 minutes all together. I checked my water parameters prior to the change and probably could have waited another few days to a week before the change. I now only check for a few things only and not as often as I did before. I just didnt know any better. Now I check for in this order Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph, ppm

my ammonias 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, PH 7.7, 989 PPM

I have planted more real plants this time around and have been doing regular weekly to 9 day water changes and the tank is now better than I had it before. After reading and tons of help I think I have a lil handle on things(knock on wood)
kcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
emc7

Sounds pretty good. I love pumps for big tanks.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
DeepFried

Yea, I did something similar for my 75. Except I use the Python to suck out the water initially. Then take the submersible pump and about 25 feet of clear hose and put my aged water back in the aquarium (Its in the laundry room, so it's out of the way, and the aquarium is in the living room. I intentionally bought a small pump, thinking that adding new water slowly would upset the fish less (just in case there was any fluctuation) , turns out I bought too small a pump, it only pumps up to 150 gallons an hour and up to 4 foot high, so towards the end of the fill, its really slowed down, takes about and hour to fill ~30 gallons. For the 125, I've ordered a similar pump, but rated for 1,000 gallons an hour. So it should be spot on, I hope.

Edit: Then I use the Python to fill the aging barrel. I do nothing but tote rubber hose around. Not a bad deal.
DeepFried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #4
weedkiller

did the same, measured 50 litres, marked it now i can just let the water go out the window till i get to that level, so much easier
just got a fluval 406, added that to my 50gal with my 206, once the 406 is bio ready i will move the 206 to my smaller tank, the interpet pf2 internal filter im going to use as a vaccum (with a little modding) for my 50gal, i make up r.o water a couple of days before and store next to the radiators to warm it up
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Mega Clown Pleco
3 Guppies
weedkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
lohachata
Super Moderator

i don't age my water as it would be just too impractical.....kind of hard to have storage for 800 gallons.....i just use a pump to drain the tanks and a hose from the faucet with a hang on set up with a valve to fill the tanks..that takes most of the day..
Rick.....maintaining water parameters is not the only reason for doing water chages...they dilute the levels of growth inhibiting secretions that the fish give off.that helps them to grow bigger faster..

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
DeepFried

It's a little more practical for me since I'm only storing about 80 gallons at a given time. However it is a necessity since my PH comes out of the tap at 6.6 then settles to 7.8. Too hard on the fish.

I also cheat during the week, set up a DIY auto top off with a small pump and float switch. I really appreciate that, keeping the water a steady level.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
MainelyFish

Do you have a picture of your DIY auto top off? I would be interested to see your enitre setup for that matter...
MainelyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
DeepFried

I'll give ya a quick meat and potatoes of it.

My whole tank

Notice the yellow bucket? That held my top off water for the week.

I bought a Toms 3.5 gal/hr water pump, splice the little white float switch into one side of the power cord for the pump. The ring around the float switch is the bottom to a lid for a candle jar. I used that to super glue it to the lip of the aquarium (was pretty secure). I ran the fill line into the top of my AC110 filter, and presto, no worrying about water noise or toting water through the week. Just fill the bucket, which I did with the python when I had it out for water changes. I would also dose the bucket with liquid fert, so it would dose just a little throughout the week. If there is a lazy way to do it, you bet I'm in the middle of it! lol.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
kcrunch

I wish I could use the pump from my laundry room but that would be a long ways off and I would need a stronger pump. For the moment my only inconvenience is having to bring the 20g pail up from the basement after I fill it. If I could fill it form down stairs and send the hose back to the tank for returning the water that would be as simple as just running a hose down the steps which is really not a bad thought. I am going to look into a different pump, might have to go to northerntool.com and see what kinda pump I need.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
kcrunch

Originally Posted by lohachata View Post
Rick.....maintaining water parameters is not the only reason for doing water changes...they dilute the levels of growth inhibiting secretions that the fish give off.that helps them to grow bigger faster..
Thanks for the info, as you know I am still trying to snatch the pebble and am in the grass hopper stages. Luckily and with time and maintenance hoping that my tank remains hearty and healthy. They are killing that plecocaine I dont know whath the heck is in there but they are hooked and I love seeing them so happy to feed. Even the Synodontis Cat aka Charles Bronson comes out in the middle of the after noon to feed, I still drop something in for him after lights out every 2-4 days though. once I run out of food I will be making an order from you for sure they love this stuff.....
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #11
DeepFried

Yea, you'd need a pretty stout pump to push water up from the floor below. My 1,000 gal/hour pump is only rated for 8 foot of rise, so that wouldn't cut it.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #12
kcrunch

Originally Posted by DeepFried View Post
Yea, you'd need a pretty stout pump to push water up from the floor below. My 1,000 gal/hour pump is only rated for 8 foot of rise, so that wouldn't cut it.
I have pumps that will do the job for sure but they are not clean enough to use on the aquarium. I will have to order a new one the only issue with the pumps that I am talking about is the output it pumps like a son of a gun and the force coming out will just make a damn mess in the tank I will have to get something to slow the force of the water.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_792_792

I have a few of these and I used them to pump ou the water when the house was flooded from Sandy. I might sill have one in the box new I have to take a look but this pumps water like you wouldnt believe. I had it in the furthest corner in the basement and it was pushing massive amounts up and out to the street level and ran for hours. I think my changes might be getting even easier from now on. Just have to get a clean hose too.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #13
emc7

I pump out, but fill with hose from tap. I often will put a pump in a bucket and gravity siphon to the bucket and pump it empty. You only need a clean hose if it (or what goes through it) goes in a tank. If I were building a new house, I'd put a big pre-treat tank in the in the attic and gravity fill tanks in the basement from a hose in the ceiling.

Last edited by emc7; 01-04-2013 at 12:27 AM.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #14
lohachata
Super Moderator

you could get 1 or 2 of those blue plastic 55 gallon drums and the drum dollies..
but i think that over 21 gallons a minute is a little much..i would look for something more like 600 gph..

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #15
DeepFried

Nice! I obviously bought the wrong pump, lol. I'll keep that in mind if I'm not satisfied with mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement