water surface area - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > General Freshwater

General Freshwater General Freshwater fish discussions

Old 01-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
jblasto

Default water surface area

I just got a 98 gallon tank that the dimensions are 36" long 18" wide and 35" tall. After calculating the water surface area it is 648 sq. inches. I got this tank to host Discus fish. I'm hoping to have around 5 full grown discus accommodate the tank comfortably. Knowing very little about water surface area do you think this is a likely environment for these discus? I have read that Discus actually like the higher tanks (deeper). My only concern was because the tank is only 18" wide due to space limitations I had it constructed more upwards. Anyone with discus fish out there know if 648 sq inches of surface area is good? Thanks for your advice.
jblasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
emc7

So its like a extra,extra high 40 breeder. Really high tanks need extra aeration and/or circulation to keep oxygen and temperature levels consistent throughout the tank. Provided you give them that, I don't think 5 is too many. Whether it is enough space for 2 breeding pairs with depend on how aggressive the individual fish are.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
grogan
A piece of the amazon

What! This tanks dimensions are insane. Pictures please
Old 01-06-2013, 01:19 AM   #4
emc7

Take 2 and a half 40 breeders and stack them. Bet it looks cool. I always tell people to stock the tall tank like the short tank of the same footprint. I think 5 discus in a 40 breeder is about the minimum sized group in the minimum sized tank, but doable.

Last edited by emc7; 01-06-2013 at 01:21 AM.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
weedkiller

is a glass shop near me thats supplied glass for a few costom tanks, was tempted and it is a hell of a lot cheaper, was paranoid of filling it and a joint fail, thatll be about 200 gallon dumped in my living room
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Mega Clown Pleco
3 Guppies
weedkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
lohachata
Super Moderator

i think the 5 discus will be fine in that tank until they pair off...then it will get kind of cramped..
i still love my plywood tanks...somewhere i have plans for about a dozen different sizes that i would like to build...i even have a source where i can get the plywood as much as 1 1/2" thick and as long as 12'......i could make a really awesome big tank with that..something like 675 gallons...that would be a fantastic community or clown loach tank...

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #7
kcrunch

Originally Posted by lohachata View Post
i think the 5 discus will be fine in that tank until they pair off...then it will get kind of cramped..
i still love my plywood tanks...somewhere i have plans for about a dozen different sizes that i would like to build...i even have a source where i can get the plywood as much as 1 1/2" thick and as long as 12'......i could make a really awesome big tank with that..something like 675 gallons...that would be a fantastic community or clown loach tank...
I would love to see something that size, to be a part of the building of it would be even more spectacular.... The only place I have any room for that would be if I did something in the basement. I can only imagine....
kcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement