What to keep in and around an aquarium stand - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > General Freshwater

General Freshwater General Freshwater fish discussions

Old 01-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Vayurules
Always Learning

Default What to keep in and around an aquarium stand

I got an interesting question from a friend this afternoon, and it inspired me to type up this thread for you guys. First thing first, I'm using a cabinet stand. With cabinet stands, you keep just about everything use on a regular basis in it, along with equipment such as air pumps. Frame stands are just a frame that you put your aquarium on. Both types are commercially sold to hold the tremendous weight of a running aquarium. It is NOT recommended you use regular furniture to set up an aquarium on, as they often cannot support the weight.

So, onto the original title topic, "What to keep in and around your stand. This is based on my wooden cabinet stand and others I have seen.

Equipment and supplies often kept in a stand:

Air pumps:
Out of sight, out of mind. Just be sure to use a check valve. Be sure to check on it from time to time.

Canister Filters:
Big filtration boxes that aren't very appealing to the eye

Filter Inserts:
Anything from cartridges, mesh bags/pantyhose, inserts, etc.

Airline Tubing:
Can be used for many things such as acclimation, as tubing, great to have on hand in emergency

Small Airstones
If something is wrong, such as a leak, and you dont have another tank to relocate fish to, relocate fish to a bucket filled with tank water, drop in some floating plants, add an extra airstone you have on hand to oxygenate and circulate the water, and slap on a plate as a makeshift hood. Airstones also tend to get clogged with debris over time, and eventually need to be replaced.

Paper Towels:
Generic brand is best. Cheap, disposable, and invaluable.

Receipts in a plastic baggie:
Something breaks? Return it, but you'll need a receipt. You just don't want you receipts scattered, or wet for that matter.

Chemicals:
Water treatment, common disease medications, salts, etc.

Food
Any thing from Plecocaine to algae wafers, from flake to pellets, fish food can be kept in all shapes and sizes in a stand.

Notebook and/or Calendar
Both of these can be used to keep track of medication dosages, water parameter test, fish health, water changes, etc.

Other fish tanks
Small fish bowls or a 50 gallon aquarium, many shapes and sizes can fit on double-decker stands, though these are almost always frame stands.

Aquarium-safe silicone sealant
Used to fix leaking aquariums. If the whole side of your aquarium beaks, it is recommended that you have a professional replace the broken side, instead of accidentally turning your carpeted basement into a nice, expensive, soggy sponge.

Buckets, Buckets, Buckets
Its a temporary fish tank! It's a leak catcher! It's a bucket? While this often cannot fit in an aquarium stand, this is a highly recommended thing to have in your aquatic arsenal for even a beginning fish keeper. The uses for a bucket in the aquarium hobby are endless. Most keep one or two, for carrying water for for water changes, catching leaks, temporary holding fish, etc.

Aquarium Mat
While often seen in fish stores, you can now have that LFS feeling, while in your own home! These mats are used to catch spills, level flooring under a stand, etc.

Python/Gravel Vacuum
This in not the snake, it is actually a invaluable piece of aquarium equipment. A python hooks up to a faucet with a small, simple valve system. You siphon water out of the tank into the sink, then alter the valves, turn on the faucet, and it refills your tank! Just be sure not to overfill the tank, and always dechlorinate it after refilling. A gravel vacuum is a cheaper alternative to a python, just with a shorter tube and without the valve system. You just have to haul around heavy water buckets.

Zip Ties
A simple piece of plastic that can lock just about anything. These have many uses in the hobby, such as the trick with the nets and the command hooks (See stand modifications) One of my favorite uses is locking your stand during a party with young toddlers. If you have two doors that open horizontally, you can zip tie the knows or handles together to discourage young explorers from destroying you organization or perhaps killing fish with your wide array of chemicals, all without your knowledge they did so.

Money
Lets face it. You'll kill fish. Equipment will break. You'll lose something important. Things will happen. That's why many pet owners keep an emergency supply of cash just for these kinds of things.

Glue traps:
Bugs like fish food, place glue trap in stand near food, you'll control the population. Live spiders were recommended, but you all might be more keen about that than I am.

Power Management

Power Strips/Splitter
I would probably not be able to power an aquarium on a single dual wall outlet. It is recommended you buy grounded power strips/splitters to protect against surges. Some power strip models are mountable, and most come with an on/off switch. This switch allows easy on/off instead of having to constantly plug in and unplug multiple plugs, which can lead to wire fraying and the bending of plugs. DO NOT forget drip loops.(Just think, 1 or 2 filters, 1 or 2 air pumps, heaters, lights, etc. Aquariums take up a lot of outlets...)

Outlet Timers
Many people use them on their lights to turn on and off lights without having to mess with it. Especially while away or on vacation.

Extension cords/foot pedal cords
Extension cords are basically outlet extenders. If you have the perfect place to set up a tank, but an outlet is out of range of your power strip, presto! No more power problems. A foot pedal cords are extension cords, but with a foot peal to turn on/off whatever is connected to the end. This can be used to turn on loud air pumps in the morning, and turn them off before bed without having to get on your hands and knees to unplug the darn thing.

Cool thing to modify you stand

Command hooks
These nifty little doodads are pretty cool, but aren't usually used except to hang Christmas lights and other household objects. But You can actually use these to hang your (dry) nets to the side of your stand for easy access. If the hole in the handle is too small, or not the right direction to lay the net flat against the side, use some zip ties to correct this.

Dehumidifiers
Not really a modification, but still extremely useful and better kept outside of the stand. Soaks up airborne water droplets and makes your fish room feel less like a fish tank.

Cleaning Supplies

Plant-based Multi-surface cleaning solution
CAUTION ADVISED: Your aquarium will get dirty. There is no avoiding it. So look for plant based non-toxic cleaning solutions. These are for use only out side of the aquarium. Avoid spraying near the aquarium or directly onto the aquarium or the stand, for this can spray non-toxic (To you. Not your fish) Never spray the inside of an aquarium with any kind of cleaning solution. There are some exceptions, but be sure to read the bottle first.

Duster
Not really referring to your grandma's old feather duster, more like the new modern, charged duster. These are relatively simple, a handle with a disposable pad of fibers that slip onto a handle. These pads of fibers are lightly charged with static electricity to aid in the picking up of dust. When the mound of fibers is covered in dust, toss the clump and attack another pad. Simple as that. (Note: Dust appears magically. Don't argue with the logic.

Magnetic Algae Scraper
These gadgets are used to control algae that grow naturally on the walls of your aquarium. The side that stays on the outside is used as a handle and the bottom is coated with fabric to avoid scratching. The side that stays on the inside is controlled through the glass with the handle via magnets. The bottom of this piece is coated with a rough material that is used to clean the algae off the walls. It is recommended that you buy a floating model, where when you are done cleaning or you accidentally knock the scraper off, it floats to the surface for easy recollection.

Last edited by Vayurules; 01-06-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Vayurules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Obsidian
Administrator

You mean dehumidifier
A humidifier adds moisture
A dehumidifier takes moisture away

20 Long: 1 Juli Corycat, 4 red line tetra's, 3 Von Rio tetra, 1 Flame tetra 1 Rubber lipped pleco, 1 Curviceps cichlid, 1 blue tetra.

5.5ga- 1 Beautiful Betta, 1 persnickety snail

I have green things with leafs.

Note's from Bradley: "Meow." "Yes I did say meow, and I meant it."

Note from Kiera: "Can I Play with it? Can I play with it? Can I play with it? Please? Please? Please?"

Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
emc7

Bucket or pitcher and/or hose. Aquarium mat (water absorbing rug-thing), "fish towel".

Last edited by emc7; 01-05-2013 at 07:18 PM.
emc7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
lohachata
Super Moderator

a shoebox full of fifties so you can replace all the fish you kill........lol

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Vayurules
Always Learning

Lol Loha. Are you slamming me, or just everyone in general?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
weedkiller

air pump,filter cannister, food, water treatments, new filter media, nets, syphon.... pretty much every thing is hidden there
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Mega Clown Pleco
3 Guppies
weedkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
lohachata
Super Moderator

heck no vayu...that's for everybody......i don't know anybody that has never killed fish...
and if they say they never killed any , they are lying...

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
cossie
petrol headed fish freak

Dust..........
2x hillstream loach
1x botia kubotai

5 gallon FW
MTS
Apple snails
Giant pink ramshorns
Giat columbian ramshorn
Send me POTM AND TOTM Feb 2013 by 28th

SW setup

34l FW setup

5G FW setup
cossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
weedkiller

Originally Posted by cossie View Post
Dust..........
ha... knew there was summin i forgot to add damn
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Mega Clown Pleco
3 Guppies
weedkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
cossie
petrol headed fish freak

No, you dont have to add it, Its magic, gets there by itself
2x hillstream loach
1x botia kubotai

5 gallon FW
MTS
Apple snails
Giant pink ramshorns
Giat columbian ramshorn
Send me POTM AND TOTM Feb 2013 by 28th

SW setup

34l FW setup

5G FW setup
cossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
Vayurules
Always Learning

Revised and updated. Go ahead and have a look.
(There's a note for cossie and weedkiller up there. Brits... :P)
Old 01-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
emc7

Dust appearing magically is much nicer than the truth. Humans are shedding skin cells, dust mites are eating them and reproducing and pooping. Floors and furniture are getting worn away by use. Wind blows in through cracks and brings with it soil and exhaust and soot and pollen and fungus spores and dander and sand from the Sahara and algae and bacteria on and on. Why can you think you can cycle a tank without a seed? Because live bacteria is on the wind and it goes everywhere.

Last edited by emc7; 01-06-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
emc7

Magnetic, floating, algae scraper. Sticky bug traps and/or live spiders to catch the fish food loving insects.

Last edited by emc7; 01-06-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement