Going to a bigger tank, HELP - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > General Freshwater

General Freshwater General Freshwater fish discussions

Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
fishcake

Default Going to a bigger tank, HELP

Hello, My name is Jenn, and I live in montana I have keep fish since I was about 7 or so and have had many tanks of different sizes and different fish also. My favorite of all time is the angle fish. So much so She was my first tattoo.
any way now days I have a 55 Gal tank that I have had for about 8 years with most of the same fish for about 5 years with a few partners dying
I have a large plecostomus which is the oldest, 1 small catfish which is buddies with the plec. 2 clown loaches, 1 orange shark, and 1 silver dollar. They are running out of room and I have recently bought a 110 gal tank to give them more space and maybe get a buddy for the shark and silver dollar.
Now, I know I have to get the bacteria bed set and I will use some if not most of the water from the 55 gal. I think anyway that seems like the right way to start the process
So my main question is- how long to set a bacteria bed in a tank that size before I can put in the fish and can i also use my rocks to help the process along? And the old filters?
Also what about the filters and air pump that I have can I use them in this new tank or are there any suggestions on something different/better? I have 2 aqua tech filters (the dual filter) now in my 55 gal and a whisper 60gal air pump?
Thanks in advance for any input.
fishcake.
fishcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
Maine_Fish

Originally Posted by fishcake View Post
Hello, My name is Jenn, and I live in montana I have keep fish since I was about 7 or so and have had many tanks of different sizes and different fish also. My favorite of all time is the angle fish. So much so She was my first tattoo.
any way now days I have a 55 Gal tank that I have had for about 8 years with most of the same fish for about 5 years with a few partners dying
I have a large plecostomus which is the oldest, 1 small catfish which is buddies with the plec. 2 clown loaches, 1 orange shark, and 1 silver dollar. They are running out of room and I have recently bought a 110 gal tank to give them more space and maybe get a buddy for the shark and silver dollar.
Now, I know I have to get the bacteria bed set and I will use some if not most of the water from the 55 gal. I think anyway that seems like the right way to start the process
So my main question is- how long to set a bacteria bed in a tank that size before I can put in the fish and can i also use my rocks to help the process along? And the old filters?
Also what about the filters and air pump that I have can I use them in this new tank or are there any suggestions on something different/better? I have 2 aqua tech filters (the dual filter) now in my 55 gal and a whisper 60gal air pump?
Thanks in advance for any input.
fishcake.
Congrats on the new tank...upgrading is always exciting.

A few months ago, I upgraded my 75 gallon to a 120. I'll tell you what I did.

First, I gathered several of those 10 gallon rubbermaid type storage bins. I filled those up with the water from the 75. I put the fish in a couple, and in some others I placed the aquarium decor and my filter media. Not knowing for sure how long the swap would take me, I placed heaters in the bins that contained the fish and filter media. (The entire process ended up taking a few hours)

I then tore down the old tank and set up the new one. First, I put in the sand from my old tank. Because the tank was bigger, I added some new sand to the old. I then added a few bins of the old tank water, and started arranging decor. Added a heater. Put in more of the old tank water and the fish. At this point, I had just one bin left with water and filter media. I then slowly topped off the tank with new water. Added another heater. When the water got high enough, I added the filters and turned them on.

Shortly thereafter, my water did get a little cloudy for a while. My guess is that the system got thrown into a "mini-cycle" and that the cloudiness was the result of a bacterial bloom. I did water changes every couple days until the cloudiness went away.

I didn't lose a single fish. However, a couple weeks later, my clown loaches (which are very sensitive to water conditions) experienced an outbreak of ich. I was able to cure the ich without any casualties. Everything looks fine now.

As for your filters, I would absolutely use your old filters in the new tank. If you upgrade your filtration, add the new filter(s) first, and let them run a while before you remove the old ones.

There are some folks on here with way more experience swapping tanks...perhaps they can give you some pointers.

Good luck...and have fun!

Last edited by Maine_Fish; 01-10-2013 at 03:51 AM.
Maine_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
lohachata
Super Moderator

i have nothing to add other than that the water does little to help cycle the new tank...the beneficial bacteria grows on hard surfaces such as decorations and substrate and filter media..
great advice from maine fish...

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
MainelyFish

Would you guys suggest putting an air stones in the bins to keep the water moving while you do the change over?
MainelyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
lohachata
Super Moderator

yes...absolutely.

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
fishcake

Thanks so much for info. I will add air stones in my change over. I was hoping i could do it in one evening. . This is good and helpful news.
I will keep everyone posted thanks again
fishcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
MainelyFish

I almost found out the bad way not using air stone during a fish tank change that took much longer then I thought it would... Fish all lost color were very stressed... Lucky no one going sick or died...
Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
wooferkitty

I don't think I've got anything to add plan it out right and it shouldn't take long after all I was able to move my entire fishroom from my up stairs to my basement with no casulties in an afternoon however everything went exactly as planned no hick ups. also good luck enjoy the new tank
55g#1-female flowerhorn
55g#2- 2 discus, 1 angle, and a clown loach
30g- Black ghost knife
20g long-electric blue crayfish
10g-mystery dwarf cichlid
wooferkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
MainelyFish

haha ya my move us going great until my dryer started to smoke so the fear of fire put the fish tank on hold...
Old 01-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
wooferkitty

thats kinda funny cause during the inspection when I bought my house the inspector turned on the dryer and it burst into flames lol
55g#1-female flowerhorn
55g#2- 2 discus, 1 angle, and a clown loach
30g- Black ghost knife
20g long-electric blue crayfish
10g-mystery dwarf cichlid
wooferkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
MainelyFish

Haha that must have given some warm a fuzzies about buying the place...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement