Deteriorating fins - Page 2 - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > General Freshwater

General Freshwater General Freshwater fish discussions

Old 01-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
Angelclown

Vayu: Betta man is a kid.

Betta man: that is good that you don't display your age on the internet. Very smart.
Angelclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
Betta man
King of the Bettas

Thank you angelclown.

Gun control means using both hands.
Wear short sleeves and support your right to bare arms!
Those of you who pretend to know everything annoy those of us who do....
Betta man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #18
Angelclown

You're welcome Betta man.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
Betta man
King of the Bettas

This thread has been hijacked. Let's get back to subject. Anyways, I do not like melafix and don't recommend it. Methylene blue works well.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #20
C. King

Mollies get fin rot more often (and are less healthy in general) if you do not add some aquarium salt to their water. Salt is a natural anti-fungal, but it is also good for mollies specifically. It increases their electrolytes, and they live longer. I would have to look up the exact amount to add, but if you haven't been using salt, you might want to start. Make sure it is aquarium salt, however, not table salt. There are also some products out there that add electrolytes to the tank. Mollies prefer harder water, and temps nearer to 80. Fin rot is a sign to me that your water hardness/temp./salinity/minerals are not quite ideal, stressing the fish and making them prone to chronic infection.
5 cardinal tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3 oto catfish
1 bristlenose pleco
1 crown tail betta
2 rasboras
1 cory cat
a few shrimp
C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
Sydney

Default Deteriorating fins

I did my second treatment with the melafix today, but I'll definitely have to get some aquarium salt. As for keeping all those things ideal for my fish, I am only 15. I got my water tested yesterday and my ammonia was high and I think nitrates which apparently normal for the time I've had the tank, which is just under a month. I'm hoping to get things more stabilized soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #22
emc7

Ammonia will definitely burn away fins. Keep changing water. salt & Prime can help some with nitrite, but again, water changes are your best plan. If you salt, calculate to keep concentrations consistent during water changes.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #23
Betta man
King of the Bettas

Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
I did my second treatment with the melafix today, but I'll definitely have to get some aquarium salt. As for keeping all those things ideal for my fish, I am only 15. I got my water tested yesterday and my ammonia was high and I think nitrates which apparently normal for the time I've had the tank, which is just under a month. I'm hoping to get things more stabilized soon.

Age has nothing to do with it. Nothing personal, but I keep my water ideal for bettas and I am younger than you. If you can't keep good water quality, try upgrading to a larger tank where water quality is easier to keep stable. If your water isn't the right hardness or ph, try a different species or use something that adjusts those things.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #24
Angelclown

No matter how old you are, you can keep fish, if you research them and their needs before getting them. Also ask questions if you find contradicting information. Most of us here have experience in keeping fish. There are different ways to keep healthy fish, but the main thing is maintain good water quality, because some fish are more sensitive to changes in water quality.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #25
Sydney

Default Deteriorating fins

I haven't even had my tank for a month yet... so I don't plan on giving up that fast.

Sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #26
C. King

You'll catch on just fine!
5 cardinal tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3 oto catfish
1 bristlenose pleco
1 crown tail betta
2 rasboras
1 cory cat
a few shrimp
C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #27
Obsidian
Administrator

Betta once again, you miss the information that is being told to you.

This tank has been set up for one month.
This fish has ammonia burns on his fins.
This tank has now had recommendations to have increased water changes with added salt.
Personally I would add that this user try adding a biological filter booster, such as Stability. It is interesting to note that this works for some and not for others. Wow. It is a good product. This will help your tank cycle quickly, which will help your fish immensely.

"Perfect" water is not the issue. The tank is cycling.
As long as fish are kept in aquariums there is no such thing as "perfect" water as they will always be swimming in their own waste, and that is not "perfect" and is why we do water changes.

Interestingly enough this person said they are 15 and you just said you are younger than them, meaning you have just told us you are in fact an adolescent at best. So much for not giving your age on the internet.

Age has nothing to do with many things, in this instance it has to do with lack of experience more than anything else. You have not been in this for very long, therefore you are not an expert. You do pretend to be one, which can get dangerous.

As for Melafix it is not a "snake oil" and has been tried and true for countless individuals for countless years. It just cured ich in my tank. That must upset your world.

As for it not working on your fish- sucks to be you. Not all meds are going to work on all fish and THAT is what you have experienced. Penicillin is great- unless you are allergic to it- point being whats good for one is not good for another.

Given the fact that you keep Betta's I would suggest that YOU not use Melafix- it is not good for Betta or other labyrinth fish- it interferes with the labyrinth mechanism and can cause difficulty in breathing. A lot of Betta's have died as a result of using it because people have used it improperly.

If a Betta keeper chooses to use Melafix or Betafix, it is best to use a less than full dose to be on the safe side. The deaths have usually been from overdoses. To be safe- use something else. Your choice of methylene blue is a great one which is nice because it proves that you can do something right. Keep figuring out those things and your experience will eventually catch up to what you think you have now.

20 Long: 1 Juli Corycat, 4 red line tetra's, 3 Von Rio tetra, 1 Flame tetra 1 Rubber lipped pleco, 1 Curviceps cichlid, 1 blue tetra.

5.5ga- 1 Beautiful Betta, 1 persnickety snail

I have green things with leafs.

Note's from Bradley: "Meow." "Yes I did say meow, and I meant it."

Note from Kiera: "Can I Play with it? Can I play with it? Can I play with it? Please? Please? Please?"

Last edited by Obsidian; 01-19-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #28
Betta man
King of the Bettas

Ummmm, Obsidian, I hate to be the one to have to break your bubble, but being younger than 15 means I am either 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, or 1. SO, I obviously just gave away that I am am 1 right. Seriously. If I was one, I wouldn't know how to spel. :P I just set up a tank a few days ago and added a pair of livebearers. It's an 8 gal, so it's pretty small. Ammonia is 0 ppm. I have never had issues with ammonia when cycling tanks. EVER.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #29
Angelclown

Obsidian: I have to agree with Betta man that he didn't display his age on the internet. As he can be anywhere from 14 and younger. So therefore he didn't display his exact age. You can try to guess his age, but I think that you won't even come close.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #30
lohachata
Super Moderator

hmmmmmmmm...never had a problem with ammonia....me neither....but you do know how to kill the bettas...

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement