My water test - pH reading - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > General Freshwater

General Freshwater General Freshwater fish discussions

Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Ice

Default My water test - pH reading

I did my water test tonight and all my readings came out perfect except for my pH which gave me a reading of 6.0 - 6.4 range. At first I thought, maybe I didn't add the right amount of water to the test tube so I re-did the pH test again. The result came out with the same reading I mentioned.

Why would after all this time, my pH have always came out perfect within a range of 7.0 - 7.4?

My question is what would be my next course of action? Do nothing? Add pH up additive? In all honesty, I'd like to refrain from adding additive/chemical if possible because this is the first time my pH came up with a hard reading since August of 2012. Please advise.

I have 3 neon tetras in a 3 gallon tank.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
C. King

A Partial water change should do the trick. As to the cause, it is natural for ph to lower bit with the age of the tank. Any uneaten food, waste, etc, will affect ph. So will some tank decorations like shells. Some substrates will affect ph over time. If you notice a lot of food/waste on the bottom, maybe feed less food. Also, stronger aeration can help to reduce ph; do you have an airstone? I definitely avoid chemicals to change ph, since they usually start a cycle of up and down that is far worse for the fish than the gradual chanes of ph that occur naturally over time. How often do you do a partial water change?
5 cardinal tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3 oto catfish
1 bristlenose pleco
1 crown tail betta
2 rasboras
1 cory cat
a few shrimp
C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Ice

I performed a water change a day or two ago and do them every 1 - 1 1/2 weeks (40-50% changes). No airstone and I don't want to add any chemicals or additives. I usually feed my fish every other day or so and I don't feed them to much food. (alternate feedings between micro pellets and bloodworms)
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
C. King

An airstone agitates the surface of the water, reducing carbon dioxide and helps raise the ph. Maybe increase partial water changes to once a week? Anyone else have other suggestions?
5 cardinal tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3 oto catfish
1 bristlenose pleco
1 crown tail betta
2 rasboras
1 cory cat
a few shrimp
C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
lohachata
Super Moderator

what do you have in your tank as to substrate..plants..driftwood..rocks..and fish...????
sometimes a buildup of uneaten foods down in the gravel will cause the PH to drop ; but that would be gradual...same thing with plants and driftwood...

try this.......................
1.get a bottle of store bought water....but not spring water...aquafina is best ; they use a 7 stage RO filter...but most any bottled water is ok...rinse your equipment..vials etc and let air dry....

2.test PH out of the tap.....

3.test tank water without letting your skin come in contact with the test sample...if the test still reads low ; do a water change and test again...

depending on the fish you keep , a 6.0-6.4 reading is just fine...
leave the chemicals alone..you are right to not want to use them...

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
emc7

Tap water pH can change (water systems will switch sources w/o warning), so test that.

6 is fine for neons.

Tank pH in soft water will naturally fall from nitrates which are acidic in water. It can be a "you need to change water" indicator. If you have a nitrate test, use it. Otherwise, just do a big water change, and test pH again.

If you see pH falling quickly (say tomorrow it is 5.5), it means that the "buffering capacity" of the water is "used up". Usually changing water will fix that. But sometimes tap water has very little in it (source is rainwater or water treatment plant that uses something like RO). In this case (water changes don't keep pH up) dissolve 1/8 tsp of baking soda in water and add some slowly to tank until pH is stable.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:25 AM   #7
Ice

I have fake bonsai tree and tree trunk with silk leaves - no driftwood. I've always had these since tank was up and running. I will admit I probably should have cleaned my gravel while doing the water changes. As a rule, I usually do that 99% of the time. I will do another water change today and testo see what happens

Thanks guys!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement