First time moving - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > General Freshwater

General Freshwater General Freshwater fish discussions

Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Superfly724

Default First time moving

Around the beginning of February I'll be moving into my own place. I've never had to move an aquarium before, so naturally I'm a little nervous. Especially because my stock isn't necessarily cheap. Thankfully, the house I'm moving into is only about an 8 minute drive from my current residence, so it's not a huge move, but I was wondering what everyone suggests to make it go as smooth as possible. Do you put your fish in separate bags, or in a tightly sealed bucket? What are the best ways to make sure your tank doesn't go through another full-fledged cycle? Any pointers at all would be helpful.
4 Neolamprologus Brevis
1 juvenile Altolamprologus Calvus
1 juvenile Altolamprologus Compressiceps
1 Neolamprologus Brichardi
10 Cyprichromis Leptosoma
1 Opthalmotilapia Ventralis

10 Gallon
Breeding pair of Brevis
Superfly724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
MainelyFish

I would put the fish in buckets and add some air stone to the bucks temporarily. Then I would empty the tank and place my filters into a bucket of water to preserve ever bit of bacteria that you can and if you want do the same for anything that is transferring to your new place... once everything is pack-up and ready to go I would bag the fish and move on out...

In all honesty you could probably bag this fish right away but with my luck something always goes wrong so I would want to limit the bag time for the fish as best as I can...

Once you get to your new place... setup your tank add your water and any chemicals get your tank up to speed and your filters running then add the fish... I would definitely still acclimate the fish to the water like you would when you first brought them home...

I am sure other people have different ideas or what not this is just what I would do...
MainelyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
lohachata
Super Moderator

you can use a couple of styro cooler with lids for the fish.....and some 5 gallon buckets from home depot($3.00 each)...
drain some tank water into the coolers...put the fish in the coolers...
drain the tank......all filter media into a bucket with a little tank water...put gravel in buckets...do not rinse...load everything up..
set tank up at new digs...add gravel..set up filters...fill tank and dechlorinate...
make sure temps are equal or at least new set up is a little bit warmer..
add fish...

tank water really holds very little bacteria ; so it pretty much does nothing to help the cycle...the bacteria is on all of the solid surfaces such as the media ; gravel and ornaments etc...

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
emc7

I always bag cichlids individually unless they are really young. Any other fish, I would say, no problem. But the fish I have lost in tank breakdowns and moves have mainly been Tanganyikans. So bag, or bucket them in tank water (maybe add Prime to a bucket of it and bag them in it), be sure to keep them warm, match the new tank to same pH and hardness as the old and still be careful acclimating.

Keep the media wet. Take out all rock and water and most of the substrate and carry it in buckets or kitty litter bins or Rubbermaid tubs. Do not lift the tank by the rim or twist it. Moving a big tank with heavy stuff in it is a easy way to "pop a seam" and make a royal mess when you fill it back up.

Don't feed for 24-48 hours before and 24 hours after. slowly ramp up feeding as you see them eat.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Angelclown

This is what I did when I moved.

First: put some tank water in a bucket
Second: catch all fish and put them in bucket
Third: empty tank completely
Fourth: move tank and fish together
Fifth: set up tank and put fish in, don't forget declor.

You shouldn't lose any fish, especially if they are used to moving.
Angelclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
Superfly724

Thanks, everyone. You've offered some really sound advice, and have made me a little less anxious now that I have somewhat of a plan in my head. I'm just ready to do it. It'll definitely be the last thing I move, and I'll probably dedicate a day just for moving the tank. Thankfully I have that luxury since I'm moving from my parents house and they don't mind keeping the tank until I'm ready.

emc7, you suggested packing all the cichlids separately. You don't think the stress from the experience will keep them off eachother for the duration of the move? I figured they would be so shocked that they would leave eachother alone, since they already do for the most-part in the tank anyways, but if you think it will be an issue I'll bag them individually.
4 Neolamprologus Brevis

10 Gallon
Breeding pair of Brevis
Old 01-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
lohachata
Super Moderator

if i can move 75 tanks in the middle of winter ; you moving just one will be a snap...

10 gallon...stale air

Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
emc7

The brevis will likely just stay in the shells. But I wouldn't trust the calvus unless he is really small. I watched a compressiceps off a guppy in a about half a second. Didn't even eat it.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
Andrewj

Default First time moving

When I moved my tanks I waited until I do my %50 water change used totes for the fish and used 2 totes for the water we had no issues kept the decor rocks filter in the tank water.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Andrewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
Superfly724

My Calvus is still really small. I don't know if its growth has been stunted or what, but my Brevis are still bigger than him. Every other fish in the tank has grown considerably except for the Calvus. They don't bully him either. It's quite odd. I'll probably separate the Marlieri, now that I think about it though.

Where can you buy bags to pack fish in?
4 Neolamprologus Brevis

10 Gallon
Breeding pair of Brevis
Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
C. King

Go to any fish store and offer to buy x amout of bags and rubber bands. (be specific). Most will just give them to you, especially if you have purchased there, or charge a minimal fee. Don't underestimate how many you will need. Figure on one fish per bag, unless very small, and a few extras in case of leaks, etc. Double bag any fish with spines or hard bodies (plecos, for ex.) After bagging the fish, take a few deep breaths, then blow in air to fill. Twist, tie with little rubberband, fold over top and wrap with the last loop of band. (keeps in air longer) The one fish per bag rule is to prevent them from using up air &fouling water so fast, also from hurting each other in a panicked dash. Tiny, schooling fish like neons can be paired. Some people think it reduces stress to have a buddy, and maybe so, with natural schoolers. Keep them in as quiet a place as possible, in the dark. The styro coolers help to reduce noise, light and keep temp steady. Drop a dark towel or blanket over cooler to increase the darkness, and insulate. Oh, and you can add a few drops of stress coat to the bags. Good luck!
5 cardinal tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3 oto catfish
1 bristlenose pleco
1 crown tail betta
2 rasboras
1 cory cat
a few shrimp
C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
Superfly724

Thanks a lot! You've been a great help.
4 Neolamprologus Brevis

10 Gallon
Breeding pair of Brevis
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
emc7

You can order bags online, but not in small quantities. If you have trouble getting from the store, post on the local board. I ordered 1000 of a fairly large bag and have some smaller ones I got from club members who've ordered other sizes.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
lohachata
Super Moderator

don't blow into the bags...lol...that puts co2 into them...just squeeze all of the air out and gather the bag about 4" from the top..then stick an airline into the bag a let it fill...
i have an oxygen tank that i use for shipping fish....or when moving them if i put a lot of them into 1 bag....

10 gallon...stale air

Old 01-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
C. King

Oh Yes, blowing into bags does put Co2 in them! I forgot to explain that a person has to take in a deep breath and expel it, very thoroughly, a couple times before blowing into bag. (kinda like hyperventilating before a deep swim dive. I used to swim in the Gulf, and easily reached depths of 50 ft with fins and no other air source. It was very cool) That way, there is plain old air in the lungs, and not the co2 that is usually exchanged in the aveoli. Thanks for the catch on that one, loha!
5 cardinal tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3 oto catfish
1 bristlenose pleco
1 crown tail betta
2 rasboras
1 cory cat
a few shrimp
C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement