Accomplishments and achievements name YOURS - Page 2 - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > General Freshwater

General Freshwater General Freshwater fish discussions

Old 01-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
Bryan619
Bryan619

I wanted a fish tank ever since my stepdad had a saltwater tank in our house when i was like 6 or 7. My wife got me a 55 gallon for our first anniversary. I knew nothing about the nitrogen cycle or the hobby in general. After setting up the tank exactly the way i liked, learning how to test the water and completing the cycle I got to add the fish. I've had a couple losses and learned a couple lessons, and for the most part my tank has been clean and thriving for 11 months. I made myself a DIY python, use no chemicals (only water conditioner) and really enjoy watching them. I have a 10 gallon hospital tank I set up at the sign of any problems and this 36 gallon bow front I'm not allowed to set up until my baby is born (3\22\13). I also enjoy reading the threads on fish forums and getting advice from other people that enjoy the same thing I do.
Bryan619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #17
Betta man
King of the Bettas

Originally Posted by grogan View Post
Outstanding!

One question:
Do you still enjoy the hobby?

Myself
I picked up the hobby less than two years ago. I entered it with an artistic mind and tried my best to apply that midset to the hobby. I quickly found planted aquariums and then I discovered the 'Show' planted aquarium. I did my best to assemble what funds I had and purchase what I could. I became very clear early on that my dream tank was out of my financial reach. During this whole process I had been bringing my trimmings into the local shop and donating them, and it did not take long for the owner to notice. I started offering my time as trade for aquarium goods and livestock. As time progressed and plant sales increased I was given more leeway to open accounts and contact vendors. This all led to me eventually opening an account with ADA and making arrangements for the first pallet of ADA products up to AK. It consisted of 30 bags of substrate, 6 tanks, fertilizers, and so on. All of this allowed me to achieve my dream in the hobby. I took home one of those tanks and filled it with all of the goodies. Since then I have continued to promote planted aquariums in AK. What is next?

We all think that at the end of this next project or purchase we will reach completion. There is no completion in this hobby. There will always be something new...

Nice tank. What's your trick to aquascaping? My plants always come out of the substrate even though I have plenty of it.

Gun control means using both hands.
Wear short sleeves and support your right to bare arms!
Those of you who pretend to know everything annoy those of us who do....
Betta man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #18
grogan
A piece of the amazon

Good question and I have several techniques:

For stem plants it is best to plant them with tweezers and hold the stem at an angle. This makes the stem insert at an angle but the above substrate stem will be completely vertical, this give the plant more of an anchor. This youtube video shows it being done.

The carpet of Glosso has been nothing but a pain to keep anchored. This plant just takes time to root and is so tinny and delicate that it simply requires patience.

Swords, crypts and aponogetons have never given me any trouble, regardless of substrate. I have always just trimmed the roots down and then wedged them deep into the substrate and filled the space around.

Without a doubt the single contributing factor to the ease of setting this tank up is the substrate. The ADA Amazonia is truly amazing. When I insert a stem into the substrate they stay and has mud feel to it. Its glorified dirt but it sure does get the job done.

What plants are you experimenting with?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #19
TheOldSalt
Darth Ichthyos

Do I still enjoy it? You know, sometimes it's not even a hobby anymore so much as this thing I just do without thinking and can't stop doing; just a part of me, a second nature.
Other times, though, it's still as much fun as it ever was.
TheOldSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #20
kcrunch

Originally Posted by TheOldSalt View Post
Do I still enjoy it? You know, sometimes it's not even a hobby anymore so much as this thing I just do without thinking and can't stop doing; just a part of me, a second nature.
Other times, though, it's still as much fun as it ever was.
That is the routine that I am trying to accomplish. I love the hobby always have just waited a while to get back into it. I also think that I over planned the return to the hobby with the type of tank and size but in the end it is all worth it. I am going to Lowes on the way home to grab some wood to complete the maintenance side of the unit. I find my blood pressure under control and I think that is the major accomplishment for me. I control it and it controls and drives me.
kcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #21
rtro92
Fishy Member

greatest achievement so far:
putting together a 55 gallon. I began the cycling yesterday, just waiting for the lights to arrive next week. (Thanks Lohachata for the recommendations!)

other achievement:
-successfully raising platy fry
rtro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #22
kcrunch

I have made it a regiment and not just a chore, I think realizing the live of these creatures are up to me keep me wanting to accomplish more. My main goal was to keep a tank with fish that attained 4-5 inches only but when picking out fish some times you get past what you want because of reading on a particular fish and how easy or hard they are to maintain. I have a nice selection and they keep me wanting to see their progress and growth, I only achieve because they make me.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #23
Obsidian
Administrator

Accidentally keeping Java Lace alive. It had almost completely died when a small piece of it attached itself to the driftwood and now it's a pretty sizable piece. No idea how that happened when I can't keep plants thriving in this tank for anything, but it's neat that it did LOL.

I am sure there are others, but that's the one that stands out the most right now. I always stare at it with wonder when I feed the tank.

20 Long: 1 Juli Corycat, 4 red line tetra's, 3 Von Rio tetra, 1 Flame tetra 1 Rubber lipped pleco, 1 Curviceps cichlid, 1 blue tetra.

5.5ga- 1 Beautiful Betta, 1 persnickety snail

I have green things with leafs.

Note's from Bradley: "Meow." "Yes I did say meow, and I meant it."

Note from Kiera: "Can I Play with it? Can I play with it? Can I play with it? Please? Please? Please?"

Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #24
kcrunch

After sitting and watching the tank for awhile tonight now I can see what makes people just do planted tanks. I am really happy with the way they are shaping up in the tank with the fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement