Anyone have a diatom filter? - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > General Freshwater

General Freshwater General Freshwater fish discussions

Old 02-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
jblasto

Default Anyone have a diatom filter?

I'm wondering after it's used how to store it until the next use? Meaning should I empty the water with the diatom powder that's in the canister or simply reuse that stuff later, meaning I'd keep the water in there? I can't really find any info online indicating what to do after it's used. Thanks for any advice.
jblasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
lohachata
Super Moderator

actually i have 2 of them...the best filters in the world...i love them..
for storage....disassemble the unit and thoroughly clean and allow to dry...

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
jblasto

Thanks for the feedback. So I guess re using the diatom powder isn't really an option if I'm not using it right away? I should just restart it clean each time? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
lohachata
Super Moderator

yes...never reuse diatom powder...you can get it pretty cheap on ebay...or just go to the swimming pool store..

10 gallon...stale air

Old 02-18-2013, 01:36 AM   #5
emc7

flush it down the sink. If you have no disease, you can go from tank to tank, polishing the water and gravel washing. You can let it run overnight once if you are certain of your tubing/valves (a popped hose can drain a tank down to the level of the intake), but after about 2 days, flush it and dry it. You do not want to smell aged fishtank crud (poop, algae, food).
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
jblasto

Thanks for your guys experience! This helps a lot. Hopefully my last question about this is does this "rod" or "thing a ma jig" (the plastic pipe that's in the canister along with the filter bag) does it need actually attached to the motor top portion or does it just rest unattached sort of lined up with it? It makes sense to me that it would attach but both receiving and sending end seem to be the exact same size so I'm having difficulty deciding which is correct? I attached a picture so you can glance at my incorrect term for the item. Sorry for not knowing what to call it. Thanks for your help again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diatom.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	7482  
Old 02-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
lohachata
Super Moderator

it has to be attatched...you can see where it connects...if the tube is too big you will need to get a new one....i think you can order directly from vortex..

10 gallon...stale air

Old 03-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
jblasto

So I got some new add ons for my filter and was kind of curious as to am I using them correctly. I got the starter recharge control valve. Is this thing supposed to keep the siphon going or simply keep the charge on the bag inside the filter flowing correctly? I thought it would allow me to restart the siphon easily but it doesn't seem to do that at all. It seems I still have to restart the siphon. Am I doing something wrong or was this part something that doesn't restart siphons? Thanks for any advice here.

Here is the link with this parts description http://www.diatomfilters.com/contents/en-us/d1.html It states that the part is supposed to allow you to move the hoses without breaking the syphon. Hmmmm. When I switch the valve and pull the hoses from the water it definitely stops the syphon though.

Last edited by jblasto; 03-20-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #9
emc7

When the knob is aligned with the hoses, the water flows through the hoses. Both the IN and OUT hose should be attached to top of the H and the other side should both go to the filter. When the knob is perpendicular to the hoses, the filter should pump out to valve and back into the filter with no flow to the tank at all.

This is good for several things.

You can take a break in your gravel washing without having to take the hoses out or watch the intake

When you "charge" the filter, you can run it until all the powder is stuck to the bag so you won't dump it into the tank.

When you move the filter from tank to tank, the hoses (if held up higher than the filter) should stay mostly full of water allowing you to avoid restarting the siphon. Once on the new tank, you open the valve and only a little air should get sucked in. Since the diatom is east to start a siphon on, this isn't a big deal for me. But if more than a little water comes our or air gets in, you have a leak in your system. Check all hoses, connections & gaskets, and hope you don't have a "cracked head".

For just "saving the siphon" a pair the marineland quick connect valves (1 per hose) will do the job and give you the option of filling the iinput and output hoses by immersing them in the tank and then closing their half valves.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
jblasto

Very helpful post. Thank you for your input. Do you think these valves would do the trick http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm a little confused by the quick-disconnect valve and that one I posted seemed a little more straight forward for how to connect it.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
emc7

That is an in-line ball valve that shuts off the flow in one hose. The Marineland Qucik-connect and other similar things are really a set of 4 valves. that stick together in pairs. So you can close both sides, separate the hose into 2 pieces that are closed on both sides. So you can break the hose in half and no water (except a few drops) ends up on the floor. Use these where the hose is likely to stay put behind a tank when you remove the filter to clean it, where you are swapping end (like gravel washer to input strainer) or using hoses of different lengths for different tanks.

While they work great for most canister filters, they are a true shut off and don't recirculate the water in the filter. With a diatom filter, the lack of flow means that the powder "unsticks" from the bag and makes a cloud. When you open the valve, the cloud goes in the tank. The filter will eventually clean up the cloud, but you may not see your fish for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement