black algea slime? - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Saltwater > General Saltwater

General Saltwater General Saltwater discussions

Old 12-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
rastarainy
Salts The Game

Default black algea slime?

when i got home from school today, and looked at my 40 gallon saltwater reef tank, there was a thin layer of black "slime" on top of my sand bed. im not exactly sure what it is, but i do know that my snails have not been trying to clean it at ALL since i've been home. not sure what to do....get a sand sifting star maybe?
-Gold Stripe Maroon Clown-Clarkii Clowns-2 Green Bubbletip Anemone-Condy Anemone-Sailfin Tang-Firefish-Damsels-Goniapora-Green Star Polyps-Purple Star Poylps-Cleaner Shrimp-Peppermint Shrimp-Ricordea Florida-Capnella Kenya Tree-Xenia -Bubble Coral-Toadstool Leather-Brain Coral
rastarainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
Fishfirst
Fish Guru

black cyno algae is typically found in newer tanks or very old tank with a big or even slight nutrient problem or even just dead spots in a tank. More flow in combination with biweekly water changes while siphoning the stuff out should help... btw this stuff is fairly toxic to most things that eat it... thus your snails weren't trying it.

"All the yellow tangs and clownfish in the world can't save you now! hahahah" Peter from Family Guy
Fishfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #3
rastarainy
Salts The Game

oh. well is there anything that does eat it, and doesn't die after?
-Gold Stripe Maroon Clown-Clarkii Clowns-2 Green Bubbletip Anemone-Condy Anemone-Sailfin Tang-Firefish-Damsels-Goniapora-Green Star Polyps-Purple Star Poylps-Cleaner Shrimp-Peppermint Shrimp-Ricordea Florida-Capnella Kenya Tree-Xenia -Bubble Coral-Toadstool Leather-Brain Coral
Old 12-10-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
rastarainy
Salts The Game

i've been reading up on google that a blackout of the whole tank for 3-4 days can eliminate it too...but is that just for a short period of time? or for good?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
Fishfirst
Fish Guru

a black out will probably do a disservice to your other photosynthetic organisms in your tank and will create more anaerobic conditions for this BACTERIA to prosper... like I said... this stuff is created in dead spots, or in over fed tanks, or in new tanks where there isn't a correct "balance" of bacteria, and algae yet. It FEEDS off of itself... making it totally self reliant.

Increasing flow with another powerhead placed in the right spot... and sucking it up in the first place with a water change is THE ONLY way to get rid of it... all other remedies have serious and deadly consequences in a reef tank.

"All the yellow tangs and clownfish in the world can't save you now! hahahah" Peter from Family Guy
Old 12-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
Felicia
Person with Camera

I have to agree. A whole bunch of people at work were trying out the "blackout" method last year, but it's only temporary and seemed to make things worse in the long run. Get your nutrient levels under control and take care of those dead spots. Koralia powerheads are awesome for that.

http://aquariumadventures.blogspot.com/
Felicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #7
Sea-Agg2009

I was always under the assumption that black algae was a result of poor or low lighting.

75 gallon Planted Oddball

55 Gallon Community

12 Gallon Planted Killi/Badis
Sea-Agg2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
Felicia
Person with Camera

Cyanobacteria can also result from old bulbs. When the bulbs age, the spectrum shifts and kills other microscopic photosynthetic thingsys, favoring the growth of the Cyano.

http://aquariumadventures.blogspot.com/
Felicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #9
rastarainy
Salts The Game

i have a current lighting fixture, which is fairly new....probably only 5 months old. so i would suspect its not the bulbs.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:53 PM   #10
rastarainy
Salts The Game

as far as the Koralia powerheads....what wattage would you recommend for a 40 gallon?
Old 12-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #11
Fishfirst
Fish Guru

two Korellia 2's would probably do it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement