size of fish vrs size of tank - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Goldfish, Koi, and Ponds

Goldfish, Koi, and Ponds Discussions about Goldfish, Koi, and Ponds

Old 11-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
squeekee35

Default size of fish vrs size of tank

I have a thirty gallon tank and before my other fish got killed by a pleco (which i returned to the store) they were about four inches long and seemed happy enough in that size of a tank.

well i bought more fish and right now they range from one inch to two inches. my question is how big should i let me fish get before i move to a bigger tank?

every one always talks about inch of fish per gallon but i know that number is much higher for goldfish. what is a good amount of gallons per inch of goldfish?

--Angel
squeekee35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
lohachata
Super Moderator

although i don't use the "1" per gallon rule" , i just judge on the bulk of the fish...1 full grown goldfish in a 30 gallon tank...5 or 6 in a 125....

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Angelclown

I believe that the 1 inch of fish per gallon applies to some fish, but not all. Take clown loaches for example, they need at least a 6 foot tank in order to be comfortable and need to be in groups to be happy. There are some fish that can and have to be alone, like oscars. Oscars need at least a 55 gallon. Bettas are really controversial, they are solitary fish, but what size gallon tank, everyone has an opinion. I would say a 5 gallon tank would be ideal for a betta, even for some small fish that stay small.
Angelclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
wooferkitty

this riddle lies in the water. The amount of fish or size of fish affect the bio load. the reason they 1 inch of fish for 1 gallon of water is that in general most ppl change the water once a month following the 1 to 1 ration generally allows for sufficient biological filtration. However with accurate testing and ample water changes I have seen success with all types of fish in all types of aquariums. just think of it like this is we put you in a 12 foot by 12 foot room for your entire life how happy are you going be. bigger is always better.
55g#1-female flowerhorn
55g#2- 2 discus, 1 angle, and a clown loach
30g- Black ghost knife
20g long-electric blue crayfish
10g-mystery dwarf cichlid
wooferkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement