How many for 55 gallon - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Goldfish, Koi, and Ponds

Goldfish, Koi, and Ponds Discussions about Goldfish, Koi, and Ponds

Old 02-10-2006, 07:56 PM   #1
koisworedtails

Default How many for 55 gallon

Hi i was wondering how many fancy goldfish can I keep in a 55 gallon?

Eric
koisworedtails is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
garfieldnfish

15 gal for the 1st. 10 for each additional one = 5 fancy goldfish (and I would add one rubberlip pleco for algae clean up. They go well with goldfish.
garfieldnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
Niki2105

You could fit 5 in there no problem. I dont know about the pleco because I have heard of them sometimes sucking the slime coat off goldfish. I keep Apple Snails in with mine.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:25 PM   #4
RockabillyChick

no matter how many you get, you need a filtration system suitable for a 100g tank. goldfish are very dirty fish. 4 or 5 should be fine in a 55 gallon. plecos don't do much at all for cleanup. they eat some algae and dropped food, but they NEED to be fed sepperately as well. they like to eat veggies, like blanched zucchini, peas, green beans, lettuce, etc. don't expect them to live off the dropped food of the other fish and algae, because they won't.
We keep quiet like they taught us
He just wants, he wants to prove it
She does nothing to remove it
We don't want anyone to mind us
So we play the roles that they assigned us
She does nothing to conceal it
He touches her 'cause he wants to feel it
We blame her for being there
But we are all guilty

http://rockabillychick.deviantart.com/
RockabillyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 12:39 AM   #5
sambi7878
"I am SAM"

5 fancy goldfish is ok! everyone is correct but I really dont like mixing plecos with the goldfish. Just maintain a good filtration and water quality and youll not need a pleco.
If there be one, try and find it;
If there be none, never mind it.
sambi7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:26 PM   #6
deputydawg_13

Everybody keeps saying five fish for a 55 gallon tank...does the size of the goldfish matter? Or will they just grow to the size allowed by the tank? How does this work?

I am brand new to this and I have read that the general rule is 1 gallon for every 1 inch of fish..but I have also heard that this is not accurate for goldfish which need more water per inch of fish. I also realize that a larger fish will use up more oxygen that a bunch of smaller ones...so if anybody can shed some light and clear this up for me it would be greatly appreciated.
deputydawg_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:39 PM   #7
emc7

Put in little ones, they'll grow huge in no time.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:56 AM   #8
x-Golden-Lucy-x
Call me Lucy :-)

yes the ten gallon per fish rule is ten gallons at least. but a 55 gallon should hold 5 fancy goldfish comfortably for their whole lives, unless they are exceptionally big (gentics play a part)
x-Golden-Lucy-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:16 PM   #9
garfieldnfish

I have 2 fancy goldfish in a 29 gal with one rubberlip pleco and this is the second rubberlip that lives with them. The first was needed in another tank and I was not able to catch him again, so I bought a new one. I have tried Bristlenoses, otos, CAEs and SAEs and I would not recommend any of those with goldfish, but rubberlips do very well with goldfish. No aggression between them and a rubberlip will keep a tank spotless.

Last edited by garfieldnfish; 03-18-2006 at 03:18 PM.
garfieldnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:19 PM   #10
Lydia
Ichthus Owner

Originally Posted by deputydawg_13
Everybody keeps saying five fish for a 55 gallon tank...does the size of the goldfish matter? Or will they just grow to the size allowed by the tank? How does this work?

I am brand new to this and I have read that the general rule is 1 gallon for every 1 inch of fish..but I have also heard that this is not accurate for goldfish which need more water per inch of fish. I also realize that a larger fish will use up more oxygen that a bunch of smaller ones...so if anybody can shed some light and clear this up for me it would be greatly appreciated.

To clear it up for you: Yes the size of the goldfish matters a LOT. BUT the size that matters is the ADULT size, not the PURCHASE size. Goldfish that aren't fancy get about 1-1.5 feet long.

1 gallon for 1 inch of fish isn't very accurate for most fish. The only fish that would really work for is tetras and little fish like that with a low bio-load. Also, remember, the ADULT size is the size you need to figure with.

The only fish that kinda grow to the size of the tank are koi. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN PUT KOI IN A TINY TANK. Koi should be kept in ponds, but temporarily they can be kept in tanks (notice I said temporarily) because they emit a hormone that restricts their growth. Let me repeat though, you shouldn't keep them in little tanks.

Goldfish and any other fish will not stop growing because their tank is small. If anything, they will stop growing outwardly, but their organs and innards will keep growing and deform, causing death. So the moral is, research the fish and their adult size/bio-load before you buy them so you don't have to end up returning the fish or buying a huge tank because your fish will get too big for your current tank (oops I didn't do that at first either). lol
Old 03-18-2006, 11:10 PM   #11
SueM

Originally Posted by RockabillyChick
no matter how many you get, you need a filtration system suitable for a 100g tank. goldfish are very dirty fish. 4 or 5 should be fine in a 55 gallon. plecos don't do much at all for cleanup. they eat some algae and dropped food, but they NEED to be fed sepperately as well. they like to eat veggies, like blanched zucchini, peas, green beans, lettuce, etc. don't expect them to live off the dropped food of the other fish and algae, because they won't.

Not all Plecos are algae eaters, in fact most are not, they like Protein and lots of it. Some eat nothing but wood. One of the reasons most people can not keep different varieties, they assume they are algae eaters, and the poor things starve.

SueM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #12
Shaolinfish

Default Internal or external??

Does this rule apply to internal or external water volume? I have a tank with a 28.9 gallon internal capacity, not including substrate and other bits. Could I fit 3 fancy goldfish in here?
Thanks

Last edited by Shaolinfish; 05-22-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Shaolinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #13
alliecat420
Captain of the Tugboat

shaolin: with a 28 gallon i would go with 2 at the most but that may even be pushing it
alliecat420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #14
Shaolinfish

Default Overcrowded tank

Thanks Alliecat, that is what i though.... I'm trying to convince my grandmother that she has too many fish in her tank but she wont listen.... She currently has 7 fancy goldfish in the 29 litre tank. There used to be 11 but the others died of disease. She doesn't even believe me that the others more than likely got ill because of the overcrowded tank. Apparently the guy at the fish store told her that it was fine, so nothing i say will change her mind The black moor is covered in white spots, spends a lot of time on the bottom and has red streaks on his tail and fins. I put a copper coin in there today to help. Some of the others have white spots on their fins and a couple of them have problems with flipping. Thankfully I managed to convince her that the flipping is because of the fact that she only feeds them pellet foods, and i have been introducing fruit and vegetables to the tank and have also made her some gel food to last a couple of weeks. Can anybody suggest something I could say to her to change her mind? She has a pond in the garden which I will soon be making ready to accommodate some of the fish in the tank, but she still wants to leave 5 of them in there. I have included a picture to show you just how bad the situation is. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00200.JPG
Views:	618
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	4588  

Last edited by Shaolinfish; 05-22-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Shaolinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #15
emc7

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/images/Bruce.jpg
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement