Hi All and HELP! - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Users > Introductions

Introductions If you are new here, tell everyone about yourself and your aquariums.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
Karen S.

Smile Hi All and HELP!

I'm a real newbie to the aquarium world. A few months ago I found myself the owner of a beautiful black moor goldfish. I impulsively brought him home from a friends (now defunct) filthy aquarium. I couldn't stand it! Having no idea what I was doing. I put him in a 6 gallon tank, (yes, I now know it's way too small) and then frantically researched how to care for him properly. I think I now have a handle on basic care for the time being. Long story short. After a whole heap of research, I plan on moving him to a 30 gallon tank and purchasing two more goldfish of the appropriate species. I've read that the breed likes company, plus I don't like the idea of any living thing being alone. I'm starting from scratch here so I'd really appreciate advice on my first step, purchasing a quality aquarium system from all you seasoned fish folk!

Thanks and Happy New Year, Karen
Karen S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
cossie
petrol headed fish freak

Firsty welcome and hope you had a great christmas

You have basically said it all yourself move him into a larger tank with a couple of others.

Go to your LFS and explain your situation to them, look for good deals also though and they will help you choose the right tank for your fish.

Hope we see a picture of this little fella and they new tank when you get it
2x hillstream loach
1x botia kubotai

5 gallon FW
MTS
Apple snails
Giant pink ramshorns
Giat columbian ramshorn
Send me POTM AND TOTM Feb 2013 by 28th

SW setup

34l FW setup

5G FW setup
cossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Karen S.

Smile Thanks!

I appreciate your comments.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
BV77

welcome to the forum
BV77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
weedkiller

welcome to ff
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Mega Clown Pleco
3 Guppies
weedkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
C. King

Hi, Karen, welcome to FF! Sounds like you're on the right track, just be careful--aquariums can be quite addictive! I used to have moors, orandas & some other fancy goldfish. They are so beautiful, and will interact with you. Be sure not to get a tank that is taller than it is wide- fancy goldfish can be prone to a disease of the swim bladder that is more likely in a tall tank, as opposed to a long or regular rectangular style tank. You will need the same as any tropical fish keeper: a heater, light, filter, substrate. (sand or gravel which you should rinse well) Get a filter that is bigger than you think you need, because goldfish,well, poo alot. If you get a 30 gal. tank, get a filter for a 50 gal. (or more) You won't regret it. Have on hand aquarium salt (for ich, which Black Moores are prone to) and Stress Coat for water changes and new fish additions. Some people will tell you goldfish do not need heaters, but they do. You will want to avoid temperature fluctuations. Plants: not plastic, which can damage fins. Silk OK, but goldfish love live ones, to munch on and just play in. Food: only buy food specifically for goldfish, as they do have different nutritional needs than tropicals. They are more vegetarian, and will enjoy a bit of fresh or frozen (thawed) peas, mashed in your fingers, once a week or so. Hope I haven't overwhelmed you with too much info at once. Just have fun!
5 cardinal tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3 oto catfish
1 bristlenose pleco
1 crown tail betta
2 rasboras
1 cory cat
a few shrimp
C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
Karen S.

Thanks so much for the advice. I didn't know about the need for a heater. There's so much conflicting information on the net.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
0828Dawn
Fishy Member

Hi Karen,
you're definitely on the right track with a much needed tank upgrade.
If you're fortunate enough to have the room you may want to look into a 55gallon- mainly because it's most fish stores standard size, will allow more room for error so to speak, and equipment is generally cheaper. Also, if you're not in a hurry you can wait out for Petco/Petsmart $1 per gallon sale and get it for $55.00 (but wouldn't grab any other equipment from there when purchasing the tank, because other things are generally FULL price when they run this sale).
I'm not sure if you've made your equipment checklist or not, so I'll list the main basics for you. You'll probably want to start checking prices online since it's almost ALWAYS cheaper compared to brick and mortar stores (use coupon codes, take advantage of click through programs, look for free shipping). If you don't mind used, then you could always check your local Craigslist or places such as AquaBid & Ebay.
1) Aquarium (if on budget check your local Craigslist).
2) Stand that will support the aquariums weight when full (if using substrate will need to take that added weight into consideration).
3) optional Glass Canopy (prevents evaporation, prevents "splashing"/ "jumping out") & helps protect light fixtures.
4) Heater of appropriate size (may want to go next size/wattage up IF you run a/c during the summer or have "cold" winters). I'd suggest a submersible shatterproof one that auto shuts off if your water level drops below the "minimum" required water level. I also suggest a good aquarium thermometer so you can monitor that your heater is performing correctly.
5) optional Lighting (unless you have live plants, but for the most part goldfish will destroy them). If you're worried about your electric bill you may want to look into leds (most are cool running and won't generate excess heat, last a min. of 5 years so there will be no added expense of changing bulbs every x amount of months, and will provide a nice shimmering light effect that is simply stunning). Right now KensFish has the Aqueon Modular Leds in stock for a pretty darn good price!
If you're on a really tight budget you could do a shop light fixture (white ones on the inside tend to be better- ie. reflector).
6) optional Filtration (some who do high enough partials on a regular basis use that method alone as "filtering" out the dirty water. Goldfish are your more "messy" fish, meaning they produce alot of waste, so imo you'll want to really think about what will work best for you. You have alot of options when it comes to filtration (hang on back, canisters, sump, sponge filter).
7) Siphon for when performing routine partials, dependent upon your water source you'll more than likely good quality dechlorinator for when you add "clean" water back to your system, a aquarium net that will not damage your fins scales/gills/fins, and a variety of appropriate foods for your inhabitants, and having a good brand liquid master test kit is always beneficial for when problems arise.

Don't forget to CYCLE the tank before adding your goldfishys! I'm sure you'll have an amazing setup in no time for them
Old 12-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
Obsidian
Administrator

Welcome to FF!

PetCo is currently running a $1 per gallon sale. If you don't want a full 55 go for a 40 breeder. Goldfish do need large tanks, and they do get very large themselves.

You will need a filter, and one that is rated for well over the tank size. On a 30 I would go with something like an aqua clear 50. If you go to a 40 or 55 sized tank go with the AC75 instead of the 50. There are other brands and types but Aqua Clears are my favorite.

The heater is to keep the temperature steady and to prevent it from getting too cold. Make sure you get one rated for your tank, if it is too small you will have a hard load on it, and you don't want that, it's bad for the heater. Stealth's are pretty good, as are Visitherm's.

Cycle your tank, your fish will be happier for it. There is information about how to do this in a sticky thread in the Beginner Freshwater section. Read it carefully

20 Long: 1 Juli Corycat, 4 red line tetra's, 3 Von Rio tetra, 1 Flame tetra 1 Rubber lipped pleco, 1 Curviceps cichlid, 1 blue tetra.

5.5ga- 1 Beautiful Betta, 1 persnickety snail

I have green things with leafs.

Note's from Bradley: "Meow." "Yes I did say meow, and I meant it."

Note from Kiera: "Can I Play with it? Can I play with it? Can I play with it? Please? Please? Please?"

Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
Karen S.

WOW! Thanks so much for the advice. I've set up a 45 gallon with a WAY over rated filter. I know I got sold up at the lfs but I don't mind. All the better for my black moor and his future buddies. I plan on no more than two or three more fish. Four at the most in total. I want them to have room to grow. Plus I'm now aware how messy they are. As far a cycling the tank I've been all over the map with that. I've read a lot about doing a fishless cycle but being a newbie, I find it overwhelming. The lfs has suggested I use "Stability" to safely cycle the tank. I'm leaning that way because the complexity of doing a fishless cycle has got me freaked. The last thing I want to do is hurt the one guy I've got. I've seen him through a number of hurdles and plan on him living a long, full (as full as a goldfish can have!) life. The tank has been up and running since last Saturday so it's time to start something. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the subject.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #11
TankdreamerJim

Golf fish like other goldfish doesn't matter what kind fancytail or regular gold fish or the cheap feeder gold fish or the ones with the bulge faces they will all hang together. Just don't buy KOI they get huge! They don't need a heater but as long as you keep the water around 70 they will be fine. I have goldfish out in my frozen pond and they will still be alive next spring. The colder the water is the less active they are however the warmer the water is the less oxygen it holds which will also make them less active. When the water in my pond freezes the goldfish go into hibernation suspended animation as I call it. I have also noticed they live longer because the cold slows down their metabolism. When the day time air temp gets to about 60 I notice they become normal again. They start asking for food every time you go up to the pond. Anyhow it sounds as if you should be fine. The bigger filter is always good, Room temp of your house should be fine. As others have said buy some Aquarium salt it's like $3 at walmart in the fish section. As I said don't buy all the same kind of goldfish if you see one you like thats different buy it they will be buddies in no time! Goodluck.
TankdreamerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
C. King

When I had fancies, I tried mixing types of goldfish, but it was not successful. The comets (like feeder fish, etc) were faster than my sweet, fat long finned guys, and the fancies couldn't compete for food. Moors would go well with orandas, lionheads, any heavy bodied ornamentals. That leaves room for plenty of variety, endless color combinations. Also, while Koi may be OK with colder temps & temp. fluctuations, not so the fancier goldfish, who get sick. They are more delicate than Koi, who are intended for outdoor ponds.
5 cardinal tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3 oto catfish
1 bristlenose pleco
1 crown tail betta
2 rasboras
1 cory cat
a few shrimp
C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement