History of tanks, fish, and problems - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Users > Introductions

Introductions If you are new here, tell everyone about yourself and your aquariums.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
Kirrie

Question History of tanks, fish, and problems

I am new to the site and have some problems with one of my fish tanks that I don't want to trust random websites on the internet for. I started with one 10 gallon tank with 5 goldfish and 2 bronze corys, I had them all for a little over a year. My goldfish all died in the past few months and I was left with the two corys. I bought two more corys to go with them and one of those died. I now have a 29 gallon tank. After setting it up, adding 3 live plants and cycling it for over a week, I added my 3 corys from my original tank. I then added 2 more spotted corys, 3 zebra snails, and 6 skirt tetras (3 black, 3 white). I've had it running for a few weeks now and everything seems fine, meaning they're all still alive. I change about 10 gallons out once a week and twice every other week. Again, they all appear to be healthy, but one of my black skirt tetras has a cotton like growth above its eye. I noticed this a few days ago and have been watching my other fish, but none of them seem to have the same problem. I've searched on the internet and wasn't prepared to completely trust all of the answers I found. I'm not sure how to upload a picture to a post, but I do currently have a picture of the tetra in question on my profile somewhere. Sorry the picture is kind of fuzzy, I don't have my good camera with me at the moment. So I was wondering, what exactly they growth is (bacteria or fungus) and how I can get rid of it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Kirrie; 01-18-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Kirrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Kirrie

Ummm new problem, I know I just finished posting my last question about one of my skirt tetras, but I hit send only to turn around and find fish eggs on the side of my tank. Oh, and now there's two different clumps of them. I'm assuming it's the skirt tetras that are laying them but...I don't know what to do. I've never had fish lay eggs. Will my zebra snails hurt the eggs? Help?
Old 01-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
lohachata
Super Moderator

the eggs are from the cories....they lay their eggs in clusters on the glass or almost any other firm surface...tetras are egg scatterers...yes ; the snails will eat the eggs as will the cories....

keep in mind that your tank is not cycled yet...normal cycle time is 8-12 weeks...

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Kirrie

Ok, thank you. I've pretty much decided that I don't have the time or money right now to run a 3rd tank with babies. I'll most likely let the snails and other fish eat them, even though I don't want to :/ Now I just need my original question answered about the cotton like growth on my skirt tetra.

Last edited by Kirrie; 01-18-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
emc7

white fuzzies are usually fungus (can grow on a wound or anything dead like hanging skin) or cottonmouth aka columnaris which is a nasty bacterial infection. It could be other things, though. If possible, isolate and medicate the one fish with something that treats both bacteria and fungus. Read fine print on manufacturers site to see which meds can be used together. Did the fish that died have similar symptoms?

The funniest "disease" was a piece of fungused food that a fish was wearing like hat. Try to get a look through the white stuff and see what the fish looks like under it. Red means skin is missing, Pieces of fish missing usually mean aggression from other fish or an aggressive bacteria "flesh-eating" infection.

Last edited by emc7; 01-18-2013 at 11:00 PM.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
Kirrie

Thank you, I'll be going to Petco today hopefully so I can get the things I need, which include another small tank. I wanted a new one for my Beta anyways. And I don't believe the fish in my other tank had the same problems. It was most likely the ammonia in the tank that killed the goldfish because I didn't change the filter in time :/ And as for the other cory, I'm not really sure. My best guess is that he wasn't strong enough to get away from the filter because that's where I found him. We had a similar problem with one of the 300 gallon fish tanks at school the other day. I will talk to someone at the pet store and find the right medication for the fish and I'll hopefully have him/her out today. Thanks for the advice
Old 01-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
Kirrie

I have removed the infected skirt tetra from the tank and he is now in the small tank I used to keep my betta in. I believe its a little over a gallon. I moved my betta into the new 5.5 gallon tank I just bought today. I added Pimafix to the tetras water and he seems to be ok, maybe a little lonely because he had to leave his friends behind. Hopefully the fungus will be gone soon. Thanks for the help
4 Long Fin Skirt Tetras
8 Rummy Nose Tetras
1 Dwarf Gourami
5 Nerite Snails

10 gallon
Reagan the Halfmoon Double Tail Plakat Betta

10 gallon divided
Calvin the Speckled Elephant Ear Betta
Quincy the Crowntail Betta

20 gallon
5 Purple Pincher Hermit Crabs

40 gallon breeder in progress