Welcome! A short note for new users. - Page 4 - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Users > Introductions

Introductions If you are new here, tell everyone about yourself and your aquariums.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #46
Ellichops1

Hi, I am new to this site. My name is Elli, i'm 17. I have a community tank with loads of fish. I am quite new to this. My dad always had lots of tanks and I always loved them, so after he died I thought it would a nice hobby for me to take up, also my dad would of liked that!
Anyway....
I am wanting to start breeding fish, like I said I already have a community tank with lots of fish and I just wanted to know, in your opinion, what tank size do you recommend i get for adults to spawn and fry to be raised in? Preferably one that many species can be bred in as i want to try different ones...and where can i buy one as cheap as possible as i do not have a lot of money lol I know i need to get a sponge filter also, but advice on a heater to? should i get one? Lots of people have defferent opinions...

Thanks, Elli
Ellichops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #47
Fishy Freak
Freshwater Freak

Hi and welcome. I have some questions for you, I will start a new thread in Beginner Freshwater for you, have a look.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:31 AM   #48
TheOldSalt
Darth Ichthyos

Well, you can't go wrong with a "40-breeder" size. It's 3 feet long, 1.5 feet front to back, and I think 16 inches high. It's a very good size for spawning a wide variety of species.
Yes, you'll need a heater, too, since temperature control is a very important part of getting fish to breed.
TheOldSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #49
BLACKGHOST

Default Hi im new

Hello all the recent activity in my tank has got me excited and wanting to share with all. 30 gal. tank 2 black ghost fish had for 4 years bought them when they were 1 cm long. 1 small pleco. our female has been a little overweight or so it seems 4 wks ago well she has eggs and are graciously awating their arrival. A little history about the tank. as summer started to warm up it was very humid. the temp in the tank did rise to about 82 (just out of the green on our temp gauge. the water was a little dirty no algae on sides but it was 2 months scince last water change ph was a little high but not really noticeable. the only food we feed is frozen bloodworms. no covers on the tank no lights but. there is a light on in the room almost 24 7. any info would be greatly appreciated as there isn't much about these amazing fish.
BLACKGHOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:32 AM   #50
Riot Grrrl

Olo peeps

New here! This is a super site! I LOVE IT!!! Incredibly informative!
I am a keeper of 7 of the most awesome goldfish ever!
My main mission is to actually start a fish rescue in South Africa (which is where I live) since there is no such thing here. and to tour a bit in assisting people with their fish, most seem to be quite clueless!!!!

*In my tank I have; I have 3 comets (2 rescued from my office - they were in a bowl)Caryn & Stan & 3Rander, 2 shubunkins - Shadrack (female haha she is preggie) & Heather (the male), 1 black moor (Frank) & 1 butterfly tail (Al Capone).

All of them get along exceptionally well!

Will post pics of my babies soon!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #51
Betta man
King of the Bettas

Welcome to the forum!

Gun control means using both hands.
Wear short sleeves and support your right to bare arms!
Those of you who pretend to know everything annoy those of us who do....
Betta man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #52
jgg4Jesus

Smile Hey I'm new also

I'm just learning things about how to post here. Really have enjoyed the fish questions and answers that I have read here.

I have a 27 gallon fw aquarium. It has a bristle nose albino pleco, two angel fish, irredescent shark, one platy, one guppy one annubias plant

and a 29 gallon fw with 7 glow light tetra,
2 congo tetra
one pair red cherry shrimp

and a 5 gallon with 4 red cherry shrimp
one dwarf african frog

looking for more hardy fw plants and more cherry red shrimp and maybe some angelfish in a couple of weeks
jgg4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #53
sue123

Cool Need advice

Hi there,
I new to the whole fish scene. I have 2 female platies and 1 male. I changed and cleaned their tank yesterday. Everything is going well, except the male has taken residence on the bottom next to the heater. Should I be worried about this?
sue123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #54
Angelsmom

Hello, My name is Jacki and I been reading post here for some time now, I have learned many things and enjoy the site. That being said let me tell you about my fish friends... I have a 29 gallon tank, stocked as follows. 1 3inch common pleco (sex unknown) 2 marble sailfin mollies (males) 1 dalamatin mollie (female) 1 white mollie (female very preg) 4 harlequin rosoboro (?) 5 fancy guppies (male). I have a question about the preg white mollie, she is very close to birth and I need to do the water change. Is it safe to do this when she may drop any day?, or should I wait. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Angelsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #55
C. King

angelsmom, I would feel comfortable doing a water change, as long as it is not over 25% or so. Anything bigger could cause stress, but a small water change would be so beneficial, especially since, once you have tiny fry, you won't be able to do a water change for a while.
5 cardinal tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3 oto catfish
1 bristlenose pleco
1 crown tail betta
2 rasboras
1 cory cat
a few shrimp
C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #56
Angelsmom

C.c thank you very much, I was worried and didn't want to chance losing her ir the future fry.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #57
C. King

Your very welcome! I had a tank of livebearers, and those babies are so fun! Do you have some live plants in your tank? That would be helpful, providing safe hiding places for the fry, and would contribute to water quality, as well. (if you decide to get some, be sure to rinse them thoroughly before placing in tank, and remove all dead or dying leaves) Also, buy some food specifically for fry, it is extra fine for little mouths. good luck!
5 cardinal tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3 oto catfish
1 bristlenose pleco
1 crown tail betta
2 rasboras
1 cory cat
a few shrimp
C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #58
Angelsmom

C.King I have silk plants I have been debating live plants. I do want them the problem is finding good plants, I have had problems in the past with so called pet stores. I can find plants but they look sickly so I pass on buying them. We have a very small lfs in town and the selection is also small. Do you think the silk plants will be good for now?, or should I make a run to the lfs?

Old 12-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #59
P.senegalus
Shrimp Enthusiast

Welcome to the site!

If you are keeping the female molly in the same tank as the other fish when she drops her fry, you'll have a higher fry survival rate if you have dense plants(live or fake) on the bottom of the tank as well as floating. Molly fry tend to stay closer to the bottom of the aquarium but some may also go to the surface. They are also somewhat larger than other livebearer fry.
Live plants would also help feed the fry if you had some, they eat the little things that live on the plants.
5 zebra danios, 10 rosy red minnows, 5 white cloud mountain minnows, 6 ghost shrimp, many many red cherry shrimp, 2 platies, different types of swordtails, killifish, goldfish in the pond, goldfish fry, 2 koi, 5 butterfly koi, many guppies, and maybe in the future some P. saulosi
P.senegalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:10 AM   #60
Angelsmom

We have fry so cool

Sponsored Links
Advertisement