Old tetra - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Users > Introductions

Introductions If you are new here, tell everyone about yourself and your aquariums.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #1
Pippi
Pippi

Default Old tetra

Hi I am new to your forum but an old fish keeper. I have two tetras one being a black tetra and one being a red tail tetra both around nine years old. They initially were with schools, but their schoolmates have passed, and they have become quite the friends. In the last two weeks periodically both of them spend the day swimming horizontally and looking like they're coming to the end of their lives. Then miraculously for two or three days they're fine. This behavior is never on the same days.I of course check the water and pH is 7 nitrates are 0 GH is 30 ammonia is 0. I have never owned fish who lived their whole lives and died of natural causes. Usually they get a end-of-life disease and parish straightaway. Is this normal for "senior" fish to have good days and bad days? Any feedback would be very helpful as I love these two little guys, incidentally the black tetras name is Mr. T and the red fin tetra is Freddy. Thanks
Pippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2017, 06:41 AM   #2
Pippi
Pippi

Vertically not horizontally.
Pippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #3
TheOldSalt
Darth Ichthyos

Check your Nitrite. Vertical swimming is a common symptom of Nitrite poisoning. Add a tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons. Salt bonds with Nitrite and renders it harmless.
TheOldSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement