how do i tell if my apple snail is dead - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Invertebrates

Invertebrates Discussions about freshwater invertebrates.

Old 10-03-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
lwstinkinsweet

Default how do i tell if my apple snail is dead

he hasnt moved since yesterday afternoon. he is partly in his shell and partly out. i am worried that he is dead. so i moved him into a different container to make sure he doesnt make my betta sick or anything. i think if it was anything it was the salinity in the water not an illness. i looked up some snail illnesses and he didnt seem to have any. but i am going to monitor him in the hospital tank until i am sure of what is wrong with him or if he is dead or not.

from the song fireflies by faith hill.

i just love that song but couldnt put it all here because it would be long. those are my two fave parts (not next to each other in the song though)
lwstinkinsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2005, 07:24 PM   #2
AprilRain

Touch his foot with your finger. If he doesn't move or react to touch, he's dead. If he's alive he should flinch or pull back. There's also the sniff test. Nothing on this earth stinks like a dead snail... ack!

-April
AprilRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:56 PM   #3
lwstinkinsweet

do they stink as soon as they die? or does it take a little while. because while i was moving him, he didn't smell or antything. i didnt try to touch his foot because i didnt know if that would hurt him. maybe he is just like that from the salinity in the water. can that kill them if it is too high? i dont want to bug him too much. so i might try to see if it will move when i touch it. can they hibernate?

i just love that song but couldnt put it all here because it would be long. those are my two fave parts (not next to each other in the song though)
Old 10-03-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
cucci67
No Longer Member

3 of mine died, and they stunk like rotten eggs. Actually, they were worse than rotten eggs. I agree, touch his foot.
cucci67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:10 PM   #5
Lara
not the tomb raiding type

Or you could stick an algae wafer nearby, I've never known a live apple snail to resist one of those! Salinity will kill apple snails I believe

Last edited by Lara; 10-03-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:32 PM   #6
azn1stknightsou
Shark Bait

Salinity will definately kill snails.

azn1stknightsou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:09 AM   #7
lwstinkinsweet

well i did a water change this morning to take the salt water out. i looked in on my snail in his saltless hospital tank and he had eaten all the food i put in there for him. he was out and active. so i am sure it was the salinity. i put him back in the freshwater with my betta. they are both doing well. (except the fact that every time i try to do a water change my betta hides underneath the filter and gets tiny tears on his tail from the filter trying to suck it up. but he always has done that, so it isnt a big deal. the ends of his tail look a little tattered from it. i used to think it was tail rot, but it isnt because i do a ten percent water change daily and a ninety percent once a week because if i take him out to do a hundred percent, he hides more than if i just suck the water out and he also fights the net and gets worse tears.) but other than my betta being a nut, everything is going well. the snail is on the filter, he has stuck himself to it and seems to be doing great now. thanks for all your advice

Old 10-04-2005, 06:05 PM   #8
AprilRain

Good to hear your snail is doing ok. Now that the water is more snail-friendly, he should be much more active for you.
AprilRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:30 AM   #9
amingra
Fishy Member

I read that apple snails will go into a sort of hybernation if the temp is low. The higher temp speeds up their metabolism, making them grow faster and be more active, but it also shortens their lifespan. My snail is doing great and i use aquarium salt. do u mean marine salt or aquarium salt will kill them?
1 pleco
2 African dwarf frogs
amingra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:52 AM   #10
lwstinkinsweet

i have a betta so the temp is between seventy five and eighty degrees.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:47 PM   #11
amingra
Fishy Member

Thats fine for the snail. Over 80 is not good for them and they will be inactive between 60 and 70. According to what I read
1 pleco
2 African dwarf frogs
amingra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement