Does my female look pregnant?> and also wat r signs of birth?> - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Livebearers

Livebearers Discussions about Livebearers.

Old 08-19-2005, 10:13 PM   #1
unthinkable90

Wink Does my female look pregnant?> and also wat r signs of birth?>

Hey ..umm im new to this site.What are signs of guppy labor? And also does my guppy look pregnant and her GRAVID spot is really black too.. Heres some pictures! HELP {Shes the one on the right} DOES SHE HAVE A SQUARE BOXXY SHAPE?
unthinkable90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2005, 11:20 PM   #2
fishn00b

I can't really tell but you will definately be able to notice. When my guppies get pregnant their bellies get to be atleast twice the size of their normal width.
fishn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 12:03 AM   #3
Damon
Aquatic Naturalist

Odds are she is pregnant. (Most guppies form a LFS are). She will get much larger than her normal size. Before giving birth, she may retreat to a spot in the tank she feels safe and stay there for a period of days. Some say they get kinda square shaped right before birth but I have yet to see this.

Member of the AGA (Aquatic Gardner's Association)
Member of the IBC (International Betta Congress)
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:22 AM   #4
unthinkable90

okay..thanks! I have a goldfish in the tank..and i know they eat the babies..but every other day i put the goldfish in a bredders net just in case ..mmy guppy has babies..then ill put the babies in the net and take the goldie out..the goldfish is small but eats ANYTHING!! im going to get a 5gall tank today but i still need to cycle it!
Old 08-20-2005, 09:30 AM   #5
doggydad38

Your guppy is pregnant, but not that far along, maybe half way through. The gravid spot does get very dark before birth and sometimes you can see eyes. Females will usually be about twice the size of your girl. They will try to find some place to hide and they will square off around the vent. Good luck.
Tony
doggydad38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:48 AM   #6
Damon
Aquatic Naturalist

As a side note, guppies and goldfish do not belong in the same tank. It is affecting the health of one of the two fish. Their requirements are completely different.

Member of the AGA (Aquatic Gardner's Association)
Member of the IBC (International Betta Congress)
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:28 AM   #7
amelia
the ami

I was about to say the same thing, simpte! Guppies are tropical fish, Goldfish strive in cooler water. Goldfish get HUGE anyway, and will end up trying to eat those guppies when they get big.. I know from experience with a cory cat. It was bigger than the goldfish's mouth, so I put it in the tank.. Come back and hour later and it's head and pectoral fins are stuck inside the goldfish's mouth.. That was almost a huge disaster.. The cory died, but the goldfish doesn't seem traumatized.

In any case, Guppies and goldfish don't really mix.. Actually, Goldfish and any other fish don't mix too well unless it's a large algae eater or some other large fish that could strive in cooler water..

The guppy doesn't look pregnant to me. The gravid spot is amost always visible like that. If you're too worried about her, though, keep an eye on her and see if the dark spot fills in a bit more and watch her from above to see if her girth grows any.
amelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 12:12 PM   #8
unthinkable90

But my little guppys gravid spot is getting larger than it was.. it is like 3/4 of a penny size..that picture isnt that good...like i said im getting a tank for the goldfish today but i have to cycle it..Heres a better pic of the little one ..who i think it wilkl be her first fry cuz her tails so small and she wont get that big right?

Last edited by unthinkable90; 08-20-2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:30 PM   #9
Alisha
Betta Love

She is most def. pregnant, but isn't too far along...maybe another week or so...it's hard to tell from pictures...
Alisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 01:39 PM   #10
fishn00b

My guppies get a square belly shape before they give birth, Simpte. And yes, give the guppy another week but make sure to keep an eye on her and maybe put her in a breeding net or something where the fry will be safe. My guppies have been pregnant six times and I have yet to see a fry. They most likely got eaten
fishn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 02:58 PM   #11
unthinkable90

okay.. but if i put her in a bredding net ..wont she eat the babies?
Old 08-20-2005, 05:25 PM   #12
fish_doc
Advisor to Neptune (Mod)

How do you have the thermometer on the tank. It looks like it is on the inside of the tank. They are suppose to go on the outside on the glass. They measure the temp of the glass and are designed to figure out the temp from that.

And as everyone has said she does look like she is with fry. But give her a bit longer before you expect any fry.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:59 PM   #13
unthinkable90

its is supposed to be on the outside? but its a sticky one?Does is still work in the water?
Old 08-20-2005, 06:17 PM   #14
fish_doc
Advisor to Neptune (Mod)

Yes, I just grabbed on I had unopened from the basement. On the cardboard backing it sais. "Mounts conveniently on the outside glass wall of aquarium." It probably would not give you correct readings if it is placed in the water because of the way it is designed.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:10 PM   #15
unthinkable90

well..thats okay..i think they r normal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement