Strange looking dorsal fin. - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Livebearers

Livebearers Discussions about Livebearers.

Old 11-26-2005, 01:10 PM   #1
Arlene

Default Strange looking dorsal fin.

Hi all

A while ago my swordtail had a few litters of fry, some of the babies are about 3/4 the size of adulthood. One of them has started growing a strange dorsal fin. The mum doesnt have it and the dad didnt have it, but the offsprings dorsal fin has started to grow upwards. I cant wait to see what it is going to end up like. My camera doesnt work or i would have took a pic. Anyway how is it possible for the offspring to be different? Also is there a name for this? It looks quite sharkish. Thanx in advance for the replies.
Arlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2005, 06:20 PM   #2
doggydad38

It's possible that what you are seeing is known as a hi-fin trait. I guess it is possible to carry this as a recessive gene, but I was under the impression that this was a dominant characteristic. The other thing may be that you have experienced a "point mutation." Keep an eye on that one, you may be the originator of a new variety of Swordtail. Good luck.
Tony
doggydad38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:28 AM   #3
Fraser

lol not if theres only one :P

She'd need a male and a female to continue it ^^

3 Kribensis | 1 Red Tailed Black Shark | 2 Electric blue dwarf gouramis | 2 Red dwarf gouramis | 3 Bettas | 6 silvertip tetras | 8 Guppies | 1 Medium/Large pleco

55g Malawi Cichlid tank:

3 Johannis | 4 Auratus | 1 Yellow Lab | 3 Cobalt Blue Zebras | 2 Orange Zebras | 1 Red Zebra | 4 Elongatus | 1 Medium/Large pleco
Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:59 AM   #4
Arlene

Surely you would only need it to be either the male or the female for it to be passed on?

Ive added a pic of it, its not a very clear pic but you can see the dorsal fin a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img00088.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1540  

Last edited by Arlene; 12-12-2005 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:51 AM   #5
DUSTIN323

Yes that looks like a hi-fin trait. But even with just one fry having it you could make a new strain(if it truely was) you would probally breed that one with it's father. Guppy breeders come up with new strains but it takes years alot of times to make them breed true(where all fry look different than original and all same). It takes so long because at first if one fry is born than you would breed it with its father(most ,likely if only one fry looks that way) then you gotta start using the correct breeding techniques and crossing with correct strains. So a long process but yes you could start a new strain from just one fry being born different.
DUSTIN323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:35 AM   #6
Damon
Aquatic Naturalist

You're assuming that the parents carry the trait and its not a mutation (the high fin gene had to mutate from somewhere originally). How many fry did you have? Only one shows this trait?

Member of the AGA (Aquatic Gardner's Association)
Member of the IBC (International Betta Congress)
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:25 PM   #7
doggydad38

Breeding a "normal" to a "mutation" should at least introduce the new gene into the offspring, which should be carried as a recessive. Breeding brother to sister will bring out the trait in approximately 25% of the brood. Contrary to popular belief, inbreeding, in and of itself, isn't a bad thing as long as you have something to use as an outcross every 3 to 4 generations or so. The other factor is that Swordtails take nearly 6 months to fully mature, so the results of your crosses won't be known for about a year. Good luck.
Tony
doggydad38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:35 PM   #8
Arlene

Hiya...The mother has had 2 litters of fry, the second lot are still babies so i will not know for some time whether any of them have the same fin. The first lot of fry she had about 10, 5 of which i still have and only 1 with the hi fin although another of the fry has a weird fin as well...it is not like a hi fin but its fin is very long and straight like a rectangle. I no longer have the father so breeding with the father wouldnt be an option.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:56 PM   #9
micstarz

can we have a piccy of the other weird one?
Old 01-03-2006, 07:41 AM   #10
Arlene

Ok here is a pic of the other one with the weird fin..its not a very good pic as his fin is not fully up but as you can see it is way longer than a common swordtails fin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00046.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1602  
Old 01-04-2006, 06:44 AM   #11
Arlene

I was looking at this pic after i had posted it and it looks to me a little bit like a sailfin. I dont know what is happening here but i can assure you both mother and father were regular swordtails.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:08 AM   #12
micstarz

looks like a sailfin sword..

sorry to tel you, I was browsing aquabid andsomeone had already developed a whole batch of Hi fins... sorry to dissapoint you.

Work on the sailfin thing tho!

BTW I caught slightly sailfin endlers too, in the wild! I wanna cross breed them with gambusia, imagine sailfin gambusia!
Old 01-19-2006, 05:19 AM   #13
Arlene

His dorsal fin has grown a good bit now and completely looks like a sailfin...i am not worried that someone has already got a strain of these fish as i was not going to do anything with them anyway. I have got the hi fin and the sailfin in the same tank and they are male and female......so who knows could have a hi-fin sailfin lol. I am just at a total loss as these 2 fish are from the same brood. but yet neither mother or father has any of these fins.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:02 AM   #14
micstarz

that sounds kewl. lol hi fin sailfin!
Old 01-25-2006, 04:47 AM   #15
Arlene

Well ive had both fish together in a tank for a few weeks now and it looks like the hi-fin is pregnant. So fingers crossed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement