Can arowana subside on non-live food? - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Oddballs, Killifish, and Predators

Oddballs, Killifish, and Predators Discussions about all oddball, killifish, and predators in here!

Old 02-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Babypleco

Angry Can arowana subside on non-live food?

Hello, we recently have two community tanks and my hubby wants to raise arowanas (we would get a separate large size tank for this of course). My question is, does anyone know whether arowanas could live on a diet of non-live food? I really don't think that either I or our kids will appreciate seeing community fish being fed to arowanas. We are not close to a fish store and we do have a lot of livebearer fry, but so far we have always saved them all & given them away, never killed them. (Go ahead call me a bleeding heart I don't mind!) But I truly appreciate any/all unbiased answers, thanks in advance!
One common pleco
One gold nugget pleco
Six neon tetras
One swordtail
One dwarf gourami
One baby ghost knife fish (under close observation)

20 Gallon baby tank
Molly & guppy babies of the moment
2 farlowellas
2 albino Cory
Babypleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
hXcChic22
Loach Lover

It really depends. If they are raised eating live prey, it might be hard to switch them to eating non-live.

Romans 10:17, Mark 16:16, Acts 17:30, Acts 8:35-38, Acts 2:38 - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

Tanks:

40 breeder - tons of Loaches, White Cloud Minnows, Clown Pleco
10 community - Kuhli loaches, feeder Guppies, pond snails
hXcChic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
lohachata
Super Moderator

sure ; it can be done...there are a number of things that you could feed them...float/sinking pellets...mealworms , krill and other critters are also good and available preserved.....

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
C. King

Arowanas are strongly carnivorous predator fish in the wild. You can feed them non live food, but you must be commited to providing for their nutritional needs. there are some (expensive) foods out there designed for arowanas that will do the job. A company called "ocean nutrition" makes arowana specific food that could be fed almost exclusively, and there are others. I say "almost" because they need a varied diet. And live food does not have to be fishies, in fact,"feeder" goldfish are actually bad for arowanas, because they have too high a fat content and that can cause a nasty condition called droop eye. There are other live foods that might not be as unpleasant to watch them consume: mealworms,(for adults only) and crickets, shrimp, grasshoppers, garden worms,blood worms, etc. Frozen food is not great for arowanas because the freezing process can alter the protien, leading to nutritional deficiencies. However, if you have access to fresh fish at a market, or a fisherman in the family, that would be fine, cut into appropriate bite size. A problem will be in getting your new arowana to eat non live food. Many fish stores feed them feeder fish exclusively, (even goldfish, tsk, tsk!) So ask what they are feeding when you buy. If they are feeding goldfish, you might want to find a more knowledgeable arowana source. Your new arowana will be very stubborn about not changing his diet, even starving himself. So be prepared to feed what he is used to, mixed with what you want him to eat, 1/2 and 1/2, gradually reducing the one he is used to. Arowanas are beautiful, intelligent fish. They also grow VERY big, (8-9 ft. tank, min.) and live a long, long time. Buy a book on arowana care, study them, and be very sure you are ready and willing to make the commitment before buying!
5 cardinal tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3 oto catfish
1 bristlenose pleco
1 crown tail betta
2 rasboras
1 cory cat
a few shrimp

Last edited by C. King; 02-03-2013 at 03:21 PM.
C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
Babypleco

Thank you very much for all the helpful answers! This gives me a little bit of hope. We will definitely ask what they are being fed before buying, and we are aware they grow enormously, my husband's family kept one when he was young. I definitely plan into knowing more about them before we get one, but I would not have considered it as much if I knew they could only thrive on "feeder" fish. The other alternatives listed above sound a lot more reasonable, and the kids won't see them as 'pets'.
One common pleco
One gold nugget pleco
Six neon tetras
One swordtail
One dwarf gourami
One baby ghost knife fish (under close observation)

20 Gallon baby tank
Molly & guppy babies of the moment
2 farlowellas
2 albino Cory
Babypleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement