Our beautiful black ghost knife fish has just died... - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Oddballs, Killifish, and Predators

Oddballs, Killifish, and Predators Discussions about all oddball, killifish, and predators in here!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
Babypleco

Unhappy Our beautiful black ghost knife fish has just died...

...And I'm not sure why. Another family member purchased him initially, and we put him in our 50 gallon community tank. Initially was going to return it when we found out how big they get (he was about 2.5") and that he would eventually prey on our mollies/guppies, but his personality completely won us over. I made sure to feed him twice a day - we don't live close to a LFS and so fresh food wasn't always readily available, but he readily ate dried tubifex and bloodworms, as well as shrimp pellets. He hid inside a castle "tower" so i fed him in there, but if not he would come out and forage, and even feed from our hands! However we recently found ich in our tank and we warmed and salted the tank (at low concentration, 1/2 tsp per gallon of aquarium salt and heat slowly up to 85 degrees) and were treating with rid-ich, which all the fish tolerated well. Today I found him dead among the aquarium plants, and we are heart-broken. I examined him and he looks perfect, no sign of disease. All the other fish seem ok. I am now wondering if it was the ich treatment or the lack of fresh food? Our water parameters are: pH 7.25. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrites 40 and I vacuum/do 30-40% water change every weekend. I would appreciate any suggestions.
One common pleco
One gold nugget pleco
Six neon tetras
One swordtail
One dwarf gourami
One baby ghost knife fish (under close observation)

20 Gallon baby tank
Molly & guppy babies of the moment
2 farlowellas
2 albino Cory
Babypleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Ladayen

Likely the ich treatment. Ghostfish do not handle salt or most medications well.

Honestly I wouldn't use salt at all for anything. In the past it was used as a blanket use-for-everything medication. This has led to a number of parasites adapting to it and being far more tolerant of it then the fish themselves. Some will actually grow better with it.

Last edited by Ladayen; 02-22-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Ladayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
Babypleco

Thanks for your answer...in regards to the salt, it was difficult for me to decide whether to use or not. Before starting the ich treatment, I looked at many dfferent sites dealing with ich in BKG fish, and some of them recommended the medication only/no salt, while others said salt only/no medication. This medication (Kordon's Rid Ich) was described as safe for most scaleless fish and that's one of the reasons i went with it (that and my one previous experience with treating ich in community fish)...What would you recommend when treating BKG fish for ich? We hope to be able to try raising a BKG fish again sometime in the future, (but likely only when we can get a more suitable tank for it)
One common pleco
One gold nugget pleco
Six neon tetras
One swordtail
One dwarf gourami
One baby ghost knife fish (under close observation)

20 Gallon baby tank
Molly & guppy babies of the moment
2 farlowellas
2 albino Cory
Babypleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement