4g pico reef Diary - Page 3 - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Saltwater > Reef

Reef Discuss the aspects of Reef Tanks .

Old 07-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #31
SilverThorn
Lazy Fish

it grew from a little cutting from my other tank
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #32
SilverThorn
Lazy Fish

Updates:
Yes the tank is still up & running!
I added many rics to the tank I love these things I have some zoas peanut-butter cups, incredible hulks/green crossetts & a few radioactive dragon eyes with 2 blow pop polyps I thought they were regular dragon eye polyps but I am now convinced that they are blow-pops they look similar to regular dragon eyes. I also have a tiny frag of green star polyps I just added. Hoping to get it to spread in the upper left corner. The shrooms are doing well. I upgraded my lighting to led a ecoxotic rgb module with mounting brackets it fits perfectly for the tank. I LOVE being able to change the colors some times I add a little purple or blue or let it cycle colors the colors you can see in the corals are amazing & the red mode lets me watch at night without disturbing anything! I'm not getting a lot of growth with my zoas yet but they are not shrinking & are fully opening & appear healthy I did have a bout with the dreaded zoa eating nudi in the tank when I first got them I never saw the nudi when it was in qt for a week. Must have been an egg. They have all recovered. Perhaps soon I can see some growth.
My little rescue black clown-fish is still going strong & so is the evil hermit that keeps pulling over my rics...he may have to go back to my big cube perhaps a small shrimp to replace him?

I had a little accident with the tank during a water change I dinged the lip with the cup I was using to scoop out water with. thankfully it was a clam-shell chip & not a crack so no runs but I have an extra identical tank in storage if it becomes a problem I blacked out the rim & the bottom to hide the chip at the top it's a nice effect. I was careful not to paint over the seams. It's been ok for a few weeks so it should be fine as clamshells don't usually run I will try to get some pics soon I have been super busy lately.

Last edited by SilverThorn; 01-25-2013 at 05:38 PM.
SilverThorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #33
SilverThorn
Lazy Fish

My camera can not capture many of the colors of my leds & struggles when it cycles through the deep red looks roseish & the yellow is hardly visible. It can not do justice to the colors of the corals. The greens are incredible in person they actually ARE highlighter/neon green & appear to glow the orange/yellow & turquoise on the rics looks very washed out. The kenya tree coral is actually more like 2 times the size it is in the video I ha cleaned the glass a bit a few min ago & it shrunk up along with a few other things. I will try to get a pic later when things are more open.

video looks good full screen & plays better.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...8888581&type=3
hope you enjoy!
picture cannot do justice to the greens & it still looks washed out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1250006.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	7362  

Last edited by SilverThorn; 01-25-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #34
SilverThorn
Lazy Fish

Oh gosh I just discovered that when I hit the power button for my tv it sends my panorama rgb into these horrific strobe like flashes of changing color. It's actually one of the settings a stupid one but one of the settings anyway. Apparently many of my other buttons likewise correspond to many of this lights functions. Its rather irritating when I try & watch tv....But good to know that if I ever loose the remote I can decipher what buttons do what on my tv remote & use it for my tank light.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #35
SilverThorn
Lazy Fish

update:! tank still going strong. new vid of tank I don't think anyone is still interested in this thread but I'm posting this anyway! Hope the vid shows up. vid still not doing justice to the colors can't seem to get a good color balance with my camera

video
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...61038605569259
Old 04-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #36
Dreamer

Is it only the one fish in there?? Looks great

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:56 AM   #37
SilverThorn
Lazy Fish

Yes it is just the one clown and a snail.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #38
SilverThorn
Lazy Fish

IT'S STILL GOING.! I do not have the growth I wanted especially on my zoas. I just started dosing with kent marines nano reef part a & b a few days ago we shall see.... I added a uv strip to my rbg panorama module as I discovered some color loss on my orange & reds. Normal leds do not cover the true uv spectrum unless they are uv leds. They are coloring up again slowly. Also discovered that yuma & Florida rics prefer highly oxygenated medium to light water flow. They were not dividing much prior to me adding a bubble stone on the ittybitty fuge that flows down over them. I really got the water rolling prior to it re-entering the tank & they have started dividing quite a bit now. The shrooms also appear larger & fuller.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #39
TheOldSalt
Darth Ichthyos

Cool. Lights do change spectrum and intensity over time, and water does go "stale." If growth has stopped, try some water changes along with those light adjustments.
Nice tank! So full of stuff.

Last edited by TheOldSalt; 09-09-2013 at 01:01 AM.
TheOldSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #40
SilverThorn
Lazy Fish

I keep up with my water changes pretty well. I think it may have been because I was not changing out my filter carbon frequently enough in the canister. More frequent changes have resulted in an increase in growth in some of my zoas but still not all & not as much as I wanted. I have noticed that the supplement part a & b between my water changes has perked up some of the colors greens mostly but still no staggering growth developments. so I have slacked off on additives. The color loss is mostly resolved with the addition of uv strip to my existing rgb led. The red/orange fading seemed to start once I changed from the compact florescent to leds on the tank. So I'm not too sure about the reduction in spectrum intensity because it actually started when the light was brand new it just very slowly progressing over 8 or so months. Like I had a orange & purple ricordia it turned greenish yellow & purple. I was loosing orange & red colors just realy slowly. I found out that most led lights do not cover the uv spectrum very well unless they specifically have a uv led in the fixture & research suggests orange & red coloration in some corals is associated with uv light. As a means of protecting themselves from uv light so with not enough uv & no need for the red/ orange pigment they faded out. At least that is what I have understood from my reading. The addition of the uv strip has brought back most of the orange/ red pigments not as intense perhaps as with the pc light but defiantly orange & red colors rather than yellowish & green colors & no more fading noted. I do however have one ric that refuses to be orange again. It had turned green & purple instead of orange & purple has become now yellow & purple & refuses to be orange no matter where I put it in the tank it's mother ric is orange & purple & the colors are holding well so whatever maybe it's just weird. I think if I had a stronger uv source they would be more intense but they are actually still very nice looking & my party colored rics completely recovered all former colors so I'm pretty satisfied. I need to continue tweaking my maintenance schedule a bit hopefully it will also help to increase growth.
old zoas appear to be growing slower than new additions.
my old radioactive dragon eyes have not grown at all nor my blow pop but they do look happier/bigger/brighter my "eye of jupiter/whamin watermelons or whatever have 2 new polyps. my peanut butter cups disappeared all but 2 O.o all other old addition zoas have no new growth but are larger & fuller looking. I have fragged my kenya tree twice & my mushrooms have all each divided at least once. several of my rics have either made new mouths or split. My green stars are finally on the pipe for my fuge the new colony is growing faster than my old one O.o.

I have added to the tank from my last post.

4 polyp gorilla nipple zoas now 7 polyps,
purple puddles 2 polyps still have 2 or they may be ppe not sure,mouth is whiteish they have doubled in size.
I added some green & brown zoas that have begun color morphing from a green croset zoa to a more intense forest green covering the oral disk with a brighter green ring area around the mouth. started out with 2 frags one had about 8 polyps & the other about 13 they have both nearly doubled in size <3
also some zoas no idea what they are with brownish vaguely greenish skirt a orange ring a thin brown/orange ring then a thin orange "ring" it doesn't always make a complete circle & then a brown/orange area round mouth & white mouth. started with 5 have 6 now.
added some green & "lavender" pallys 2 or 3 new polyps
Some eclipse pallys no new growth.
goblin fire zoas started with 4 now have about 10 of those <3.

I added what I thought were horizon zoas at the end of last month & I still think is a morph of horizons but not exactly the same this morphs skirt is two tone orange. The disk has thin purple/ brown ring then a lavenderish ring then brown ring then a peachish sort of center & they are growing so fast :3 <3! I started with about 12 now I have like 20

eventually I hope to have the right side completely dominated by zoas as much as the left side is dominated by shrooms with a scattering of rics at the bottom a kenya in the middle/back & as much green stars as possible on the back glass/ tubes & stuff areas. ...it's a slow proses....

Last edited by SilverThorn; 10-23-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #41
Ice

Pics? Sounds like everything is doing extremely well for you.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement