When is UV Filter Needed? - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Saltwater > Technology & Equipment

Technology & Equipment Find out what the latest and greatest equipment is in the market today. Post your findings or view what others have tested.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:48 AM   #1
blubble

Default When is UV Filter Needed?

We're setting up a tank for the children and we've asked them what they'd prefer. They both want to get a salt water tank as they like the tanks with the coral in them and the more colourful looking fish. I wanted to understand what kind of additional filters are needed to control the tank and keep the water clear? It would seem that there are different methods undertaken depending on the type of fish and the quantity of fish in the tank. A young lady at our local for sale store told me that I'd need a UV sterilizer filter but I'm not sure she fully understood why. Any help would be great.

Last edited by blubble; 04-27-2016 at 10:36 AM. Reason: grammar
blubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2016, 03:02 PM   #2
BV77

Just a thought...a reef tank requires quite a bit of knowledge and IMO is not for a beginner. Cost comes to mind first...fish, corals, lighting etc is costly. You can set up a freshwater cichlid tank with many colorful peacock cichlids and others that are way hardier and cheaper to maintain. I'd recommend first reading the book "Salrwater Aquariums for Dummies". It explains what is needed and is easy for anyone to understand. Good luck, let us know what you choose and how it's going. There are many people here experienced in saltwater that could help you along.
BV77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:40 AM   #3
blubble

Originally Posted by BV77 View Post
Just a thought...a reef tank requires quite a bit of knowledge and IMO is not for a beginner. Cost comes to mind first...fish, corals, lighting etc is costly. You can set up a freshwater cichlid tank with many colorful peacock cichlids and others that are way hardier and cheaper to maintain. I'd recommend first reading the book "Salrwater Aquariums for Dummies". It explains what is needed and is easy for anyone to understand. Good luck, let us know what you choose and how it's going. There are many people here experienced in saltwater that could help you along.
Ok, thanks. I might check out the book then as I'm definitely at dummy level when it comes to this stuff.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #4
TheOldSalt
Darth Ichthyos

UV is used to fight the algae that turns your water green, but that algae is not a problem in saltwater tanks as a general rule, so UV is useless for that reason.

On the other hand, UV is also used to kill the micro-critters which cause diseases. In a reef tank full of things which can't survive exposure to the medicines we use to fight those diseases, like corals, UV is very handy.

The differences between freshwater and saltwater can be compared to softball and baseball. Virtually the same, but a few small differences which are critically important. The learning curve is STEEP in saltwater. There is little room for error. You MUST understand all the "Whys" behind the "Whats." Once you do, though, it's pretty easy.

There are many books out there which make learning it fairly easy, so make sure that you read them. The Dummies book is a good start. I'd also recommend "The New Marine Aquarium" by Mike Paletta, and..hmm.. I can't recall the title, but there's a good book by a guy named Jeff Kurtz. I guess you could look it up by his name.

Being in Ireland, I'm not sure how available any of these would be, but they shouldn't be too hard to get.

To be honest, you may want to consider starting with freshwater. It is much more forgiving to beginners, and much cheaper. Beginners ALWAYS make mistakes.
TheOldSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:09 PM   #5
blubble

Originally Posted by TheOldSalt View Post
UV is used to fight the algae that turns your water green, but that algae is not a problem in saltwater tanks as a general rule, so UV is useless for that reason.

On the other hand, UV is also used to kill the micro-critters which cause diseases. In a reef tank full of things which can't survive exposure to the medicines we use to fight those diseases, like corals, UV is very handy.

The differences between freshwater and saltwater can be compared to softball and baseball. Virtually the same, but a few small differences which are critically important. The learning curve is STEEP in saltwater. There is little room for error. You MUST understand all the "Whys" behind the "Whats." Once you do, though, it's pretty easy.

There are many books out there which make learning it fairly easy, so make sure that you read them. The Dummies book is a good start. I'd also recommend "The New Marine Aquarium" by Mike Paletta, and..hmm.. I can't recall the title, but there's a good book by a guy named Jeff Kurtz. I guess you could look it up by his name.

Being in Ireland, I'm not sure how available any of these would be, but they shouldn't be too hard to get.

To be honest, you may want to consider starting with freshwater. It is much more forgiving to beginners, and much cheaper. Beginners ALWAYS make mistakes.
Thanks for taking the time to respond and sharing your knowledge.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #6
weedkiller

Originally Posted by TheOldSalt View Post
gotta agree with salt here, saltwater is a very expensive way to find out you are doing it wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement