An Attempt At Planting My 30 Gal. - Page 2 - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Users > User Journals

User Journals Want your own blog?

Old 10-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #16
P.senegalus
Shrimp Enthusiast

Looks like they're doing good so far, I'm amazed that they sprouted so quickly. 2 have grown and i'm hoping the others will too. No roots yet, but the green is coming in. My hornwort should arrive some time today, if it does, good bye plastic plants.
5 zebra danios, 10 rosy red minnows, 5 white cloud mountain minnows, 6 ghost shrimp, many many red cherry shrimp, 2 platies, different types of swordtails, killifish, goldfish in the pond, goldfish fry, 2 koi, 5 butterfly koi, many guppies, and maybe in the future some P. saulosi
P.senegalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #17
Cory1990

If you look at my planted tank I have about 4 of them plants all of them about a foot tall. They grow so quickly and fill up my tank pretty well as well as a mix of other plants. I'm thinking of changing up my tank soon, that or adding more plants And maybe also a rock scape. My driftwood is completely covered and no longer viewable
Old 10-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #18
P.senegalus
Shrimp Enthusiast

I hope my bulbs grow like yours, your tank is awesome.

My hornwort arrived(with an odd growth on some of it). I was surprised at the amount the seller gave me, however as someone here warned me, its kinda messy and so far I think it looks better in my pond. I am going to give it a try in the tank but I absolutely want different plants in there in the future, meaning as soon as I can.
I will post some pictures after I arrange the plants better.
5 zebra danios, 10 rosy red minnows, 5 white cloud mountain minnows, 6 ghost shrimp, many many red cherry shrimp, 2 platies, different types of swordtails, killifish, goldfish in the pond, goldfish fry, 2 koi, 5 butterfly koi, many guppies, and maybe in the future some P. saulosi
Old 10-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #19
Cory1990

Another good looking wild plant that you can find is eel grass aka wild celery I've got some in my tank and it grows like crazy.

Also java moss is a must for beginner planted tanks. I have a java moss wall (whole back of the tank) it takes time to grow in but when It does it looks cool. I buy plants whenever I can and I love watching them grow like crazy. Everything in a planted tank takes some time and some mirical grow . Loha here adviced me to use the MG and once I started man the plants really took off. I don't think my tank would be anywhere like what it is now without it.

Another thing I have is a 96w 50/50 coralife light so that helps as well. A bit to strong but it works
Old 10-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #20
TankdreamerJim

I think roots are starting on mine but I'm not sure yet!
TankdreamerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #21
P.senegalus
Shrimp Enthusiast

I'll look into that eel grass, I would like to try it. I like the grassy looking plants.

I would love to have a java moss wall! I have to wait for my moss to grow 1st. Since you told me about it, I've been dosing mg to the tank and still have to get some root tabs and my t5 light is on its way in the mail.

Well I'm finished with the hornwort. I received so much, I had enough for 5 aquariums plus quite a bit left for my pond and so far none of the fish are eating it. Here's some photos...

Should I trim the part that looks like it may be dying?

Left side view.

Right side view.

Middle of tank.

Close up of the unknown green jelly things on the hornwort.

Some is in my 55 gal, forgot to get pics of it. I have some floating for my platies and swordtails too who really seem to like swimming in and out of it. My shrimp also love hanging out in the hornwort cleaning what they can off it.

Its a bit tacky looking, looks way better in my pond, where most of it will likely end up once I can replace it.

Last edited by P.senegalus; 10-11-2012 at 08:56 PM. Reason: typo, wrong pic
Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #22
Cory1990

The more you cut down and trim the plants the thicker it will grow I always stay on top of cutting down the dead plants. It's looking good so far just need to keep buying and adding more plants and you will get something thick and filled up lol
Old 10-13-2012, 01:48 AM   #23
P.senegalus
Shrimp Enthusiast

Ok I'm going to trim the discolored stems. Any suggestions for more easy plants that will grow under a t12 daylight bulb? I know I'd like to try eel grass and bacopa, I need some foreground plants too.

The 2 aponogeton bulbs produced more leaves, they're growing fast, must be the miracle grow

Also as soon as I can I am going to buy a two light t5 fixture for this 30 gal. aquarium, would it then be a high light or medium light tank?
Old 10-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #24
P.senegalus
Shrimp Enthusiast

Placing more cherry shirmp in tonight! At least 5 more to keep the algae trimmed back. I had to buy a new small net, my current one had a hole the shrimp would slide out of. Aponogeton bulbs are doing great!

Been thinking of trying dwarf sagittaria or pygmy chain sword, they'll have to wait though. I want more anacharis too.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #25
Cory1990

I'm not really sure on easy to grow plants because I'm not really a pro at this. I just grab what I like plant it over a mg root tab and they do good every time lol. But I also have great lighting and a decent homemade co2 running 24/7 and dose my tank every day with a little mg lol. So I love planting the bulbs and watching them grow keep adding more of them and soon it will fill your tank and look beautiful sometimes you get a surprise plant in the bulb packs I got some beautiful Lilly's in my pack lol just keep adding whatever you like over the mg root tabs and you will be fine with whatever you want.

A must have is a java moss wall in the back they are beautiful once grown.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #26
P.senegalus
Shrimp Enthusiast

Working on that moss wall, waiting for it to multiply
Some more photos:
This one really took off to a great start!

Is it common for new plants to droop? Only some stems of the hornwort is drooping.

The second aponogeton growing.
I would put some of my cherries in the 30 gal. but I can't find any of them. All the plants, rock and lighter colored sand is making them hard to spot.

Spotted some tiny worms, hope they're just planaria but they move differently, and the white specks are multiplying.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #27
P.senegalus
Shrimp Enthusiast

Update!

Can you tell my small anacharis from the fake plants?

The first bulb to grow:

I cannot believe how fast this plant is growing! It already has a stalk that looks like the flowers will be growing on.
My cherry shrimp have become more active in here, I guess they needed time to settle in. I plan to add a few more tonight or tomorrow.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:33 AM   #28
P.senegalus
Shrimp Enthusiast

A quick update on the 30g.

Anyone know if these things are hydra?

One of the berried shrimp.

Right side view.

Left side view.

My aponogeton plants. Are they supposed to grow like lily pads?
The hornwort really took over and most of the aponogeton leaves are floating on the surface.

Good news is that my cherry shrimp are breeding well. I already have quite a few small shrimp swimming around.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #29
P.senegalus
Shrimp Enthusiast

A little update:

My red cherry shrimp are starting to multiply and so are my aponogeton bulbs as you can see. Will be adding a few more cherry shrimp that have a good red color to them. The shrimp in the vid is eating some sort of aquatic insect larvae that must have come in on the hornwort. I seen another one eating a small snail too and I didn't even have to crush it
I borrowed a video camera to get this video, my camera's video recording sucks, lol.
Algae problem seems under control since I stopped the ferts.

Last edited by P.senegalus; 12-16-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #30
Vayurules
Always Learning

Very nice. Where do you get your shrimp? My LFS never carries them with regularity...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement