Marineland Plans Big Aquarium Complex - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > General > The Water Hole

The Water Hole Talk about anything non aquarium.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:16 PM   #1
fish_doc
Advisor to Neptune (Mod)

Default Marineland Plans Big Aquarium Complex

Marineland is building the world's largest aquarium complex, a 60- acre tourist attraction that will include four domed structures housing such marine life as sharks, dolphins and stingrays.
Visitors will be able to watch the creatures from above the water and through viewing panels in an underwater tunnel.
Construction of the first phase of the complex -- an exhibit that will feature whale sharks, the world's largest fish -- will begin this month and be completed in two years, Marineland owner John Holer said Thursday.
"I've been working on the project for the past two years," said Holer, who founded Marineland in 1961. "It's part of our continuing expansion, and we have plenty of acres remaining in the park for much more."
Less than half of Marineland's 1,000 acres has been developed into tourist attractions, he said.
The marine and amusement park on Stanley Avenue, in the city's south end, closes for the winter on Oct. 8, and will reopen in May. Construction of the aquarium will continue through the winter.
The new aquarium complex will include:
*Terrors of the Sea, housing a variety of sharks and stingrays.
*Friends of the Sea, the centerpiece and largest of the four domed aquariums, an interactive dolphin exhibit.
*Discovery Reef, containing an ocean reef filled with fish of the Caribbean.
*Rainforest Lagoon, featuring freshwater fish from around the world.
The new complex is part of a $144 million (U.S.) development project that includes the already completed Friendship Cove and Arctic Cove; two whale habitats housing belugas and killer whales; and four major amusement rides, including the latest addition, the Sky Screamer, the world's highest tower ride.
A new ride called the Topple Tower, an 80-foot-high thrill ride, will open next spring.
The construction program also includes Safari Park, a 3-mile wilderness adventure ride on boats and trains, scheduled to open in 2008. Marineland also has black bears, deer and buffalo, and a tent and trailer park for visitors.
With the aquarium complex, Marineland will accomplish something that was ballyhooed for seven years on the American side of the Niagara River. The excavation work was done for a $40 million underground aquarium near the Rainbow Bridge, but the so-called AquaFalls remained a huge hole in the ground until lack of financing finally scuttled the entire project two years ago.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science...urce=r_science

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fish_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
fish_doc
Advisor to Neptune (Mod)

Ill have to start saving up for a road trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
harif87
Minor Member

Any idea of where it willl be located? It didnt say but the clues lead me to belive that its in buffalo NY.

sorry for beating you senseless

"The human torch was denied a bank loan"
harif87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2006, 07:57 AM   #4
Osiris

That's what i was looking for! where the heck is it gonna be?

Reality is for people who can't handle Science-Fiction

Osiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:39 AM   #5
fish_doc
Advisor to Neptune (Mod)

My guess is that it will be attached to its current marineland park in canada

http://www.marinelandcanada.com/

Old 09-12-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
fish_doc
Advisor to Neptune (Mod)

I wouldn't mind going to their new zeland park either. That would take more than a road trip though.

http://www.marineland.co.nz/

Old 09-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
joe kool

just a cut from the atricle:

With the aquarium complex, Marineland will accomplish something that was ballyhooed for seven years on the American side of the Niagara River.

not sure if it's gonna cross over to the canadian side or not.

Breeding: currently nothing ... I've just been released from my one year sentence in Korea

I'm back in the states!!!! Florida to be exact, so if your in the pan handle area hit me up

current Fry: see above

tanks: Just set up my first "fish" tank, cichlids of course 100 gal and still have the 20L planted with CRS although most of my plants didn't survive the wife's care.
joe kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #8
fish_doc
Advisor to Neptune (Mod)

From the marineland canada site I gave the link to.
Marineland is easily accessible from anywhere. We are located one mile from the Horseshoe Falls in Niagara Falls at 7657 Portage Road
Website www.marinelandcanada.com
I would think marineland would know where they are at better than a reporter. LOL

Old 09-12-2006, 02:17 PM   #9
Scuba Kid

I really want to go!
It's a little far for me....
Old 09-27-2006, 08:16 AM   #10
Ice

Cool ! Just a 4 hr drive for me heading west ! Can't wait til it's all done !
Say does anyone know how to present a suggestion to build a public aquarium to a local area ? Would it be best to present a suggestion to the county, state or the city ? I've been thinking about this for quite a few years and never know how to go about it. It could boost tourism to my area.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:16 AM   #11
harif87
Minor Member

I would say county since it would be wiser to start small. Once you got a county aquarium going then try appealing to the city or state for funding to upgrade the already existing county aquarium. But hey why not just appeal to all three? Increases your odds...

sorry for beating you senseless

"The human torch was denied a bank loan"
harif87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:21 AM   #12
fish_doc
Advisor to Neptune (Mod)

Many are started by the citys local park district. Usually it takes a pretty big city and a generous person or two $$$.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:26 PM   #13
fish_doc
Advisor to Neptune (Mod)

Here is a link with a news story from today and a donation for a public aquarium.

http://www.presstelegram.com/beachweek/ci_4406956

about 1/2 way down the page.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement