Fish Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in college and I live in a dorm. A 10 gallon fish tank is all I am allowed to have so I decided to go for it. I cycled my tank and got three male guppies but one killed another and I took him back and the third one died so I decided to get something else. The guy at Petsmart talked me into getting 3 female Lyretail Dalmatian Mollies (which I had to take an aggressive one back the next day). Down to 2 mollies and had them for a week, and one gave birth over the weekend while I was not here! She died :rip: and now I have AT LEAST 10 fry and now my other molly has ich! I'm taking the dead mommy back to Petsmart and the fry to a LFS, but I don't know whether to keep and treat the sick molly or take her back too...
AND if I do take her back should I get something else or wait a while (what kind of fish would you suggest)? If I don't take her back will she be lonely without her friend and could that cause her to die (between the stress of being alone and the treatment)? AND yes I know that most people would recommend a 15 gal tank but I found this out after I had already brought them home (it was the workers suggestion).
Thanks for any help and advice!

·
Permanent Fishaholic
1,623 Posts
It sounds like your tank wasn't cycled to me. Can you test your water?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No i can't test it. I usually take it to Petsmart to test it and they said everything was perfect...I'm going to take some water tomorrow to get it checked again though...

·
Permanent Fishaholic
1,623 Posts
No i can't test it. I usually take it to Petsmart to test it and they said everything was perfect...I'm going to take some water tomorrow to get it checked again though...
Yeah, definitely test everything: ph, nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia. There is certainly something amiss.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Come to find out it was my water levels that didn't help the situation. My tank is still going through the cycling phase. Also my LFS told me that adding aquarium salt to the water would help with my livebearers...

·
Premium Member
12,533 Posts
Get your tank and fish cycled and healthy before adding anything else. If you keep the fry, your tank will be full soon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took all the fry to my LFS and have gotten rid of my sick molly. So I have an empty tank now. I'm not putting anything in it until it's finished it's cycling.

·
Registered
918 Posts
pro tip, find a local fish store, petsmart sucks and their fish are diseased 80% of the time

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Agreed.

Also your tank will not cycle unless there is some source of ammonia in it. Go to the grocery store and buy a single cocktail shrimp. Drop that in the tank and it should cycle properly. Keep in mind it can take up to 6 weeks to properly cycle a tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts