Fish Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 in common pleco with 5 african cichlids in a 20 g. I dont see it feeding on the disks during the day. What can I feed it? How can I feed it?

·
Super Moderator
8,448 Posts
feed it Plecocaine during the day and algae wafers at night..besides...what is the pleco doing in a tank of african cichlids ?

·
King of the Bettas
2,951 Posts
I was wondering that too...

·
Registered
580 Posts
What are a common pleco and 5 African cichlids doing in a 20 high? Outgrowing the tank in a couple months, then killing each other when it becomes too crowded...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im going to upgrade, thats like a grow out tank with no tank to put in when they are fully grown. Ill upgrade when it is neccesary. Recommend sizes of the tank that is suitable for adult versions of these fish(they all get up to 5 in and the common pleco (24 in.). Im not going more than 40 G

·
Super Moderator
8,448 Posts
common pleco can reach 3-4 feet in length...
africans need hard alkaline water..plecos need soft acidic water..
making your fish adapt is not the best thing to do..

·
Starting over!
339 Posts
if it says ornament, it's fake. dont get wood at petsmart, try your best to find an LFS that actually cares about their fish, they'll probably have good driftwood. or you could also do some mopani wood.

pleco with malawi cichlids...nooooot a good mix, just sayin...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the wasy, why isnt a pleco and a cichhlid a bad mix.

·
Super Moderator
8,448 Posts
as i said before...plecos like softer more acidic water...
cichlid species from the great lakes of africa like harder more alkaline water...

so you are making one or the other suffer to some degree...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Again, what size tank should I upgrade to to accommodate adult versions of my fish with and without my pleco

·
Registered
580 Posts
Tank size depends on the species you want to keep.
Larger mbuna or peacocks really need a 75 or larger. You can keep a few dwarf mbuna species in a 55, but the larger footprint of the 75 greatly increases your options.
Common pleco's will eventually be cramped in anything smaller than a 6'x2' tank. They are actually a fairly active fish, though most often after the lights are turned off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found out the species of the fish that I have.

1 Female Kenyi
1 Female Red Zebra
1 Unknown Yellow Tail Acei
1 Female Yellow Lab
1 Female Auratus

·
Registered
580 Posts
The auratus and zebra are really aggressive species, the auratus in particular. Male auratus look like females until they mature, then they claim about a 4' territory and usually kill anything that doesn't get out of their way.

·
Darth Plecostamus
196 Posts
About feeding that pleco, all mine seem to like zucchini slices the best. I boil them for a couple minutes and it softens them up and makes them sink. I also agree with everyone's advice. Try and take the common pleco back ASAP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts