Fish Forums banner

3g Tank - needs interesting critters

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  emc7 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

New to the hobby, had a few big tanks (maintained by parents) when I was a kid, but have been to mobile so far as an adult to really get into the hobby.

I received a 3G tank through work and got everything set up, I made some typical beginner mistakes at first (RIP first two unnamed guppies) but got things running right. Its still cycling (I think) but at this point I have a few 1.5 inch guppies swimming around having a grand time who have been living in the tank for a week.

Once I have kept them alive for a month, I wanted to add something a little fun to the tank. I thought with its size that it would make a great "show" tank for something different that didn't mind a solitary life.

I had my heart set on a Blue Crawfish which I saw in a small tank at my local big-corporate pet store, which the lady at the store assured me could live in a small tank. However, when I did my research I learned that they need A LOT more space than my small tank can offer. So my dreams were crushed.

I'm back on the search for something fun that can live happily and comfortable in such a small tank. I like fish, but was hoping for something unusual.

Its a 3G tank, has a 60 gallon per hour water filter and an adjustable air pump. Its about 9 inches tall and 18 inches wide (so nothing that needs a lot of vertical space).

*edit - this should be in beginner thread, but I cant move it or delete it :)

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion! I have added them to my research list.

A coworker suggested I check out Dwarf Crayfish. Seems like there are a few breeds that don't get bigger than about 1.5 inches and live happily (solo) in only a few gallons as long as you give them things to play with. Any thoughts on these? I did find one article that said they need 10 gallons each, but I find it hard to believe that a 6 inch crayfish needs 20 gallons and a 1.5 needs 10 gallons.

I am also heavily considering shrimp. I think a few brightly colored ones (no more than maybe 3 or 4, should fit well in my little tank. The orange Sakura's looked very pretty.

Still researching!

#6 ·
I agree with getting shrimp. I have two amano shrimp each living in a jar right now as an experiment and they are fun to watch. They are just so cute when they eat algae, and they are useful. They will keep your decorations clean of algae unless you have a big imbalance in the water (too much light, or nutrients(fish poop))

#10 ·
yeah crayfish would snack on shrimp. But do you really want to keep a crayfish in a 3g? I mean, appart from a few species nothing fits in there.

#11 ·
9 by 18 inches? A 10 gallon in 10" x 10" x 20". It this tank super narrow? How sure are you of its capacity. Could it be 6 or 8 instead of 3? If it is only 3, I would probably stick to shrimp and maybe a snail. If its bigger, maybe add some real nano-fish like a pair of clown killies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.