Fish Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:idea:So, its winter. Unfortunately i haven't been able to get a hold of any peat. But, i do have a few bags of dried Spanish moss, meant for frogs. I've scoured 4 pages of google, and all the threads are the same, people trying the Spanish moss they find in there yard, not the already dried stuff. Will it lower my Ph? How long tell it rots? I've already got a bag of it in my sump, just looking for a heads up before something happens. Thanks a lot guys!
:fish:

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Super Moderator
8,476 Posts
you can buy milled peat at your local garden center or even home depot..

or......................run outside and grab up a bunch of dried oak leaves....we use them all of the time...grab a bunch...let them air so they will dry completely...then put them in a trash bag...they will provide food for tiny fish as well as cover and water softening and PH lowering qualities.....
and the best part............they are FREE.......

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can buy milled peat at your local garden center or even home depot..

or......................run outside and grab up a bunch of dried oak leaves....we use them all of the time...grab a bunch...let them air so they will dry completely...then put them in a trash bag...they will provide food for tiny fish as well as cover and water softening and PH lowering qualities.....
and the best part............they are FREE.......
That's what I've done for years; however, I'm not in NorCal any more, and currently its 12 degrees outside without leaf in sight D:
But, ill head on down to the garden center and see. Last time I looked they had 4 types of miracle grow and a cart of plastic cups, this town is a dump.

· Restricted boredom
792 Posts
I've tried those before, unfortunately my parents will not let me order things online anymore, apparently asking them to deposit my money in their account once every three months is just far too much to ask. I'm also trying to go for what I have lying around, my tarantulas love Spanish moss, but the bags of it last forever.
Watch that, having the anger and resent for them leads to a lot of problems. Believe me I know, I'm to stubborn to listen to what even I know is best, but what my heart feels and my mind is set against.

G

·
It is always best to lower pH slowly because it can kill fish if it drops too quickly. Like with clown loaches, pH needs to change slowly otherwise it will kill them because it is a drastic change and clown loaches are not used to drastic changes in water conditions.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WHAT? Never change your pH that much that fast, unless there are no fish in it. They can't often survive that much of a change in so short a time.
It is always best to lower pH slowly because it can kill fish if it drops too quickly. Like with clown loaches, pH needs to change slowly otherwise it will kill them because it is a drastic change and clown loaches are not used to drastic changes in water conditions.
Whoa! That was too fast!
Sorry guys, this was in a tank full of sand and water! Only thing alive in there were the bacteria and one lonely java fern. but once i removed the peat i tested the water again (six hours after removal) an it read as a Ph of 7.5
Not sure why it would come back up.

· Darth Ichthyos
9,144 Posts
Oh. Whew!
It came back up because water has an ability, called "alkalinity" to bounce back after pH drops. This is where the distilled water comes in, you see. It has zero alkalinity, so mixing it in lowers the overall ALK and lets the pH drop and stay dropped.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh. Whew!
It came back up because water has an ability, called "alkalinity" to bounce back after pH drops. This is where the distilled water comes in, you see. It has zero alkalinity, so mixing it in lowers the overall ALK and lets the pH drop and stay dropped.
Well that makes sense, sadly I don't really live near town, and the recent bout of storms has left me relatively stranded. I'll get that water eventually! thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.