Fish Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope that one thing we can do on this board is move the discussion of African Cichlids beyond the common assumption that African Cichlids = Rift Lake Cichlids. When I look at African Cichlids I tend to put them into the following groups:

Rift Lake Cichlids: The Cichlids of Lakes Malawi and Tanganyika

Lake Victoria Basin Cichlids: The Cichlids of Lake Victoria and surrounding areas in East Africa

West African Cichlids: All of the Cichlids found in the rivers of West Africa, especially the Congo Basin, with its populations of Nannochromis, Pelvicachromis, Steatocranus, and Teleogramma species.

Madagasscar: Cichlids of this island are a unique and interesting group of Cichlids which seem more related to those of Central America than of Africa.

·
Fish Executive
2,168 Posts
Sorry, I thought I was logged on.LOL

·
Registered
96 Posts
OK I got qustion?? I know this isnt a pacu chat but i cant find one in here so heres my qustion if you dont mind. Im looking for a black belly pacu. if anyone has one or even has a red belly pacu about 12 inchs or biger plase call me at 417-622-4316 because the oscars we had in honeys (thats my pacu) tank died of hole in the head. Hes very lonly and needs a conpainon. oh and if anyone can tell me how to sex a pacu it would be helpfull for me
thanks,
Natalie

·
Fish Executive
2,168 Posts
Trust me, if you buy a 3" pacu from your LFS and feed it properly every day, then in 6 months it will grow that size anyway, I had one in my 20g tank and it grew to 7" in 4 months! and that was in a small tank too!

·
Independant
7 Posts
I agree about the diff. branches also.
So Larry-T what kind of cichlids do you keep?
I keep mainly Malawi. Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Albino and Red zebras, Acei to name a few.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I personally don't like the revamp of the site and I also think it should be divided to a point. So many hobbyist don't know what cichlids are or the different varieties so I see why they have it broad. On the other hand I like having a specific area to go to for a specific question.

Personally I love the riverine africans. I wish the US could get more species. Because of all the wars and conflicts collection is hard. There are so many more in europe than in the US.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lake Victoria is not a rift lake. It's near there, but not formed nor structured as a rift lake.

As for what I keep,

In Africans, I keep some Tanganyika Cichlids (N. brevis, N. Tetracanthus "lyretail", and N. Caudopunctatus) and one of the Astatotilapia species from Lake Victoria. I'm also getting some Petrochromis and goby cichlids from Tanganyika this weekend. I also have two West African cichlids -- P. Suboccelatus "matadi" and P. Signatus. I'm still looking for some Nannochromis and Teleogrammas to round out my breeding stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There was a mod but they never posted or did much. I offered some time back (I mod at fishgeeks) and to no avail. I agree the mod is the key to directing people to the right place and fielding questions.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts