Fish Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I just have a quick question about my Angelish. Before I go there however, if any of you know anything about betta fish I am having a real problem with one and I put it over in the betta section. Super important to me and very serious. O.K. So, this is the first time owning Angelfish. I have two of them. One is a Black Lace and the other a Koi Angelfish. I'm not sure how old they are. I bought them when they were a little bigger than a quarter size. And I have had them now for about a year. My question is, is it normal for Angelfish to nip at the live plants in their tanks? Like literally take pieces off them over and over until the leaf is nearly gone. So, they are ruining all my plants with leaves which is all of them. lol. I don't know if its only one doing it or both because I haven't actually seen it. But they are the only ones that would and could be doing that. Their pretty big chunks off the leaves and the only other fish I have in my tank besides Corydoras is Glowlight Tetras. I am wondering if its natural for them and they do it for fun or are they bored? Or are they stressed? I am hoping its not their tank size because I have zero money to buy another tank and stand. And I was told when I was getting the tank that it was fine and acceptable for two angelfish. I know the bigger the better but for now it will have to wait. I have a 20 gallon high tank. There are 5 Glowlight Tetras in it and 3 corydoras on the ground. Then I have a few nerite snails. My Angels are very healthy. There are no problems there. Does anyone else have Angels that do this? What does it mean? THX

·
Super Moderator
8,473 Posts
Angels will eat plants.try feeding them a little more often and give them veggie flakes and spirulina flakes along with their regular diet.who knows , you may even have a pair.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Angels will eat plants.try feeding them a little more often and give them veggie flakes and spirulina flakes along with their regular diet.who knows , you may even have a pair.
Wow, I can't imagine feeding them anymore. Because they are why I would consider over weight. Maybe I can feed them smaller amounts but more often. Right now I give them a small snack in the morning and sometimes I forget this and then their main mean they get once every day is in the evening. And they get a lot at this time. So, they are eating the plants because they are hungry? And did that have anything to do with them being a pair or were you just mentioning that they could be? thx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I can't imagine feeding them anymore. Because they are why I would consider over weight. Maybe I can feed them smaller amounts but more often. Right now I give them a small snack in the morning and sometimes I forget this and then their main mean they get once every day is in the evening. And they get a lot at this time. So, they are eating the plants because they are hungry? And did that have anything to do with them being a pair or were you just mentioning that they could be? thx
Oh, and do you know what kind of veggie flakes to feed them? Do you have any Angel fish? thx

·
Super Moderator
8,473 Posts
Years ago I bred angels.all totaled probably around 500,000 or so..watch them..do they stick together ? do they seem to be chewing at the surface of the leaves ? does one of them look a bit round bellied ? are there any tubes extending from their vents ?
A pointed tube indicates a male..A blunt tube indicates a female.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also bred Angels for years and they would "tear apart" plants before mating. Usually this occurs when you have 2 or more males that are showing to the females to pick him because he is the best, lol. A good 20% water change that is 5 degrees Fahrenheit cooler will trigger the females to want to spawn. Good Luck 🤞...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also bred Angels for years and they would "tear apart" plants before mating. Usually this occurs when you have 2 or more males that are showing to the females to pick him because he is the best, lol. A good 20% water change that is 5 degrees Fahrenheit cooler will trigger the females to want to spawn. Good Luck 🤞...
This funny that you mention this because besides the tearing or eating of the leaves because I think they are eating them I woke up this morning and my male angelfish( I say this because he has a little tip of something sticking out where they are suppose to have their sex organ) that little point that stuck out just a tiny tiny bit is now A LOT out. Why is his sex organ sticking out of his body like that. It looks fat engorged or something.? And that is definitely what it is. I only have two angel fish. The other one has nothing there. But I was told even though they might be a male and female they might not mate because they didnt get to choose their partner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Years ago I bred angels.all totaled probably around 500,000 or so..watch them..do they stick together ? do they seem to be chewing at the surface of the leaves ? does one of them look a bit round bellied ? are there any tubes extending from their vents ?
This what I just wrote another person and you two basically said the same thing.
Thats funny that you mention this because besides the tearing or eating of the leaves because I think they are eating them I woke up this morning and my male angelfish( I say this because he has a little tip of something sticking out where they are suppose to have their sex organ) that little point that stuck out just a tiny tiny bit is now A LOT out. Why is his sex organ sticking out of his body like that. It looks fat engorged or something.? And that is definitely what it is. I only have two angel fish. The other one has nothing there. But I was told even though they might be a male and female they might not mate because they didnt get to choose their partner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are only two of them in the tank. I know one of them is a male because he has the tip of something sticking out right where is sex organ is suppose to be. And today it is A LOT out and engorged. Did your males have this happen? And a lot more leaves were eaten this morning. I say eaten because I dont see the parts that he tore off anywhere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry, I think I meant this for you. Someone else said something similar too so I am just copying and pasting what I said to them.Oh, and yes its the tips of the plants although some of them he goes way back on. And as you see what I wrote below something is sticking way down from one of my angelfish, I think its his sex organ. What do I do?

It's funny that you mention this because besides the tearing or eating of the leaves because I think they are eating them I woke up this morning and my male angelfish( I say this because he has a little tip of something sticking out where they are suppose to have their sex organ) that little point that stuck out just a tiny tiny bit is now A LOT out. Why is his sex organ sticking out of his body like that. It looks fat engorged or something.? And that is definitely what it is. I only have two angel fish. The other one has nothing there. But I was told even though they might be a male and female they might not mate because they didnt get to choose their partner.

·
Super Moderator
8,473 Posts
the extending of the genital papilla can happen pretty fast.(within 12 hours) they indicate that the fish is ready to spawn..it is time to start watching closely.
they may or may not spawn , but they most likely will.i have had 2 females spawn together.but of course the eggs go bad right away.
Just keep an eye on them .they may or may not take care of the babies..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts