Fish Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aquarium heaters are one of the main pieces of aquarium equipment. Its really a very daunting task to choose the perfect heater. Looking to buy a new heater for my 50 gallon tank. What type of heater is the best choice, a hang-on-tank, submersible, or cable system unit and whats the best place to buy online.
Well, I have found a EHEIM Jager aquarium heater at Petsmart.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had the Jager before as well, I personally can only recommend it, works great, reliable and lasts for EVER.
As for placement I'd suggest somewhere close to the pump outlet of your tank, so the water getting heated in this area will be circulated around the tank.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Marineland Stealth is definately my choice. I have never had a problem with them. They are precise and consistent. I also like that the tube is not glass. I would suggest getting a digital thermometer to go with it. They maybe 3 dollars more than the old glass tubes, but SOO much better. I have these hooked up to my two big tanks. Again, no glass.

As for online, I order my stuff through drfostersmith.com. Link
I have always had great service from them, and have no complaints whatsoever. They are generally 10 to 20% cheaper than the chain petstores as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would also use Marineland Stealth, I've used it for almost half a year now and it works precisely, is very safe so it won't blow up or anything, and has a lifetime warranty =P

·
Premium Member
12,533 Posts
I really like true submersibles because i can put them down low and drop the water level without remembering to unplug them. The separate heater/controllers are really pricey, but I know serious breeders who swear by controllers with titanium heaters (also don't shatter and don't fry when run dry). I've found Ebo Jager heaters hard to get adjusted. But that just means I'm lazy. You want a heater that claims fail-safe or auto-shut off if the water gets too hot or the water level gets too low. Sooner or later, I always unplug the wrong heater and run one in air. Then the glass breaks when I refil the tank. So I also like the stealths.

drsfostersmith.com is fine. I've also used thatfishplace, petsolutions.com, bigalsonline, kensfish.com and jehmco.com (not all for heaters). It used to be you could get PetSmarts to match PetSmart.com prices if you brought in a printout.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is Midnight (shorter tail) and Sunrise (longer tail). They were "given to us" Goldfish, from some clients, who are downsizing their household. My son has always wanted fish, and they came in a free five and half-gallon aquarium with a filter and some rocks.... but they are nearly 4 inches each. I thought they needed something bigger and so did my son, Phinn. We moved them, and their new friend, Mr. Algae Eater, into this 20-gallon tetra tank and it is located at the foot of my son's bed so he can watch them at night. We have not added all their accessories yet, because we just finished adding the water last night at 8:30 and it was bedtime. The fish are doing great, not because I know much about fish, but because this company has gone above and beyond with expertise and advice on how to give them the best transition and home possible. So, two free Gold Fish later, they are super happy, we are super happy, everything works perfectly. My son is so happy to have his own pets (he is nearly nine and this is a BIG DEAL). I can't say enough about the company that sold this. They are great and so helpful and really nice about all my probably silly fish questions. We have lots of pets, but they all have fur, so this is completely new to us. Thank you for everything. Midnight and Sunrise thank you too!

·
Super Moderator
8,458 Posts
these fish will soon outgrow their new 20 gallon home.they can reach 16"+... they won't need a heater though as they are cold water fish.they can live well beyond 50 years. need goodly amounts of vegetable based food. they will also need extra filtration as they are a fairly dirty fish.
Good luck and enjoy your new pets.they will soon become best friends.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts