Fish Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Aquatic Addict
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... It's my birthday tomorrow, and what did I get a a gift? Two juvenile Discus. I've checked out lots of websites with Discus information but they all seem to be saying different things... My questions are, what is the correct temperature for a Discus? Second, I have Cory Catfish in the same tank. What temperature can I keep the water at for both The Discus and the Corys to be happy? Third, any specific information I should know that isn't common knowledge? Thanks!

Grace

· Super Moderator
8,476 Posts
i live in Cleveland Ohio..our water here comes out of the tap at about 7.0 PH and is moderately hard......discus do just fine in it and will readily breed in it.
no special care is really needed with discus..yes , they do like temps in the mid 80s....
they like clean water...like all other fish they need a varied diet of quality foods.
they prefer a deep tank....
the addition of natural gravel , driftwood and live plants will make them feel more at ease and will show better deportment...

· Discus Keeper
1,396 Posts
82-85 is perfect

If you want them to grow really well, feed them multiple times (3-6 times) a day a good variety of high protein foods.

And let's see some pictures!

· Aquatic Addict
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, here's my best picture of them so far

http://www.fishforums.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=767&pictureid=5866

I definitely want my Discus to grow well and am currently feeding them blood worms, Cichlid pellets, and flakes. Is there anything better I should give them? And I'm really glad to know that Discus can do well in semi-hard water that isn't slightly acidic because it's nice to not have to put anything in their water besides water conditioner, aquarium salt (Do Discus like salt?), and quick start when needed. What about Corys though? Which type of Cory likes heat the most?

On an unrelated note, Lohachata, I read somewhere that you have a job at Petco now? If I remember correctly and this is true, congratulations!!!

· Super Moderator
8,476 Posts
discus prefer a "NO SALT" diet.....sterbei cories would be best as they also prefer the warmer temps...
yes...i am now the guy that will be giving out all of the wrong information to the customers at the petco store...
thank you...
i will let you know about the foods soon...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.