Fish Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Freshwater Fanatic
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am thinking about breeding brine shrimp for some fry (guppy). Upon reasearching most of the sites tell that brine shrimp live and breed in salt water. So now I'm confused. If brine shrimp are used as food for freshwater, but are bred in saltwater, how is this possible? Are they like, dual watered? Help would be cool. I have always fed my guppie fry on powdered tetra/guppy flakes but am wanting to try something new, should I just drop it and continue what I am doing?:confused:

·
Premium Member
12,533 Posts
Brine shrimp breed in very salty water, but you can hatch them in merely brackish. However they will live a couple hours in freshwater. Long enough to be found and eaten. Its a common practice to feed salt live food to freshwater and vice-versa. Its not what they eat in nature and you should rinse off the salt if its going in a softwater or planted tank, but it cuts down on disease transmittance. Brine shrimp are unlikely to transmit parasites to freshwater fish.

·
Registered
921 Posts
its prety much the same reason you will see people sometimes feeding their SW fish ghost shrimp which are FW

·
Loach Lover
1,506 Posts
Yep, whenever I buy them from the LFS, I keep them in a pitcher because they don't last very long. They did better when we kept them in a little tank with a bubbler but whatever. :roll:
I just drop them into the tanks, water and all, and they swim around for a bit while my fish snatch them up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.