Fish Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a bad week. First my Miniature Pincher gets ahold of my young rooster and kills it. Then, an outside cat of ours has 4 kittens (that I know of) and ends up killing 3 so far. Yesterday we went to Petsmart and they had the Neon Tetras on sale, so I picked up 5 because I like the little guys. I had 7 already that are adults. I wake up in the morning and all the new guys are gone. I looked in all the nooks and no tetras...UGH....so, what a week. Guess the poor little guys were eaten by the Synodontis...there are absolutely no remnants. :fish::fish::fish::fish::fish:

·
Fish Watcher...
725 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems, the Syndontis may have eaten them although its unlikely, id say it would more likely be the angel thats had them for lunch. Angels are known to eat tetras.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oh, and I forgot to mention that my silvertipped shark died of worms.....geeeeeeeeeEEEEEZZZZZZZ! I just find it hard to believe it was the Angel because there are no remants of the 5 tetras. They were not tiny, but certainly not adults. The Synodontis comes out at night and for some reason the new guys were hanging out kind of low because they were new. I feel so bad. The Angel doesn't really looked stuffed, an besides it seemed to be too busy hunting new ghost shrimp we added along with the Tetras.

G

·
how big is ur angel? could the neons have fit in its mouth if so, your gonna have one happy angel! angels are known to eat tetras.

·
Fish Watcher...
725 Posts
Oh you have a lot of problems lol its more than likely the angel.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, and I forgot to mention that my silvertipped shark died of worms.....geeeeeeeeeEEEEEZZZZZZZ! I just find it hard to believe it was the Angel because there are no remants of the 5 tetras. They were not tiny, but certainly not adults. The Synodontis comes out at night and for some reason the new guys were hanging out kind of low because they were new. I feel so bad. The Angel doesn't really looked stuffed, an besides it seemed to be too busy hunting new ghost shrimp we added along with the Tetras.
Could have been the barbs too I guess, they were chasing the tetras around when they entered the tank...:(

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I almost want to just get a new tank and put the neons in there because I like them so much. I think that will be my next move...to upgrade the puffer and put the neons in the 5 gallon.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well sorry for your rooster and kittens :(

The synodintis shouldn't have eaten them, they are usually peaceful. If you have plants mate they are hiding and they'll show up when they get comfortable. Could they have been sucked up the filter tube? You definitely need to find them because if they're dead they can create an ammonia spike. As a general rule though youre better off not buying from petsmart or petco.

·
Fish Watcher...
725 Posts
Barbs wouldnt eat your neons, ive kept them together for years and had no problems. There would be no remains if your angel has eaten them, angels are always the fish to blame if you have tetras go missing.

·
Premium Member
12,533 Posts
Synodontis are Omnivores. That means they eat anything that fits in their mouth. The same profile that says feed them earth worms say they can be kept with any size tank mates, lol. If they can eat an earth worm, they can eat a tetra.

Once I had some cichlid fry get under a divider and a synodontis ate them all and was rocking on its huge, round belly. But full-grown angels will also swallow full-grown neons, juvies are even more likely to be fish food. Once they figure out they are edible, any more you add will be lunch. And barbs would pick clean the tiny bones of any fish that died.

G

·
i doubt if he is gonna find them if he has a decent sized angel. i had an angel eat 12 neons overnight. 12. and this dude was not even fully grown.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Didn't see you had an angel. If the angel is more than 3 1/2" long or so, it probably ate them. Most cichlids will eat pretty much whatever will fit in it's mouth. You still want to check your filter though.

·
Fish Watcher...
725 Posts
Any fish would eat fry, we're talking about neons here lol angel would be the suspect ;) how big is he?

·
Fish Watcher...
725 Posts
Id say your angel would be capable of eating them as he's quite a decent size compared to neons.

·
Premium Member
12,533 Posts
New theory, it was the goldfish. In the pic, his mouth is bigger than the angel's. Carp, see also omnivore...

Actually, my fry eating syno shared his meal with a gold fish. I honestly cannot remember why we had a divided 10 with a goldfish and an synodontis on one side and a holding mbuna mouthbrooder on the other. It was a long time ago when I didn't have many tanks but they each probably ate 15 fry overnight.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts