Fish Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I am aquascaping my Metalframe 29 gallon tank. I currently only have a few baby aponogetons growing and a retro ceramic TV. I plan to get more plants, carpeting plant and some mid plants.

I truly love the look of driftwood. But my pH is rather acidic it is holding steady at 6.8 currently, but I wont be surprised if it ends up closer to 6 or 5.5 (my other two tanks are at these numbers). My tap water is acidic tests at 5 without conditioner. I don't believe in using chemical buffers; don't want the risk of having a pH crash.

Actual question:

I know that driftwood will lower pH, how much will it lower it? Are we talking whole numbers or fractions?

Also if I add some Limestone rocks to the tank will this help balance out the driftwood?

My Numbers:

O Ammonia
<10 Nitrate
0 Nitrite
GH 150
KH 80
pH 6.8

Temp 78 degrees F
Substrate Eco Complete (Black)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,473 Posts
a bagful of crushed limestone in a HOB filter will help to raise the PH..how much; i am not sure as i really don't use it like that... PH from the tap here in cleveland is about 7.0 ; so no need.if i am keeping africans then i just use the crushed limestone as the substrate... keeps it right around 8.4....perfect for them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I don't add CO2.

Would Limestone slabs/rocks work? I don't mind adding them to the aquascape with the driftwood. I would rather not break up the Limestone and hide it away, as its such a nice looking stone.

·
Premium Member
12,533 Posts
Yes, it will slowly dissolve over time. It may raise your pH too much or not enough. You have to test. Soft water could also eventually make the rocks look pitted.

I see you already had hardness posted, thats not very soft. It that in the tank or out of the tap? You shouldn't have to worry about a crash if you are even reasonably consistent with your water changes.

Have you verified your tap water result? Its unusual for city water systems in the US to be more than .5 away from 7.0. They buffer water to keep it from harming pipes. Of course, the pH doesn't necessarily stay there and can change if let sit overnight.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I know that driftwood will lower pH, how much will it lower it? Are we talking whole numbers or fractions?
Depends on the driftwood but IMHO 1 ix possible.

Also if I add some Limestone rocks to the tank will this help balance out the driftwood?
vtg: yes but you used the plural form.

Please think in terms of just one larger limestone rock.

I presume that you are thinking of aggregate which can be obtained from a local roadway construction site: the aggregates in the base material are not of sufficient size but the Contractor will have some fist sized stones (they will probably refer to them as cobs) stockpiled on the project site somewhere.

This one limestone rock will provide "buffering on demand" (or at least an Edwards Plateau limestone rock).

TR

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jones57742: Thanks for your help! I was planning to get a few and create a cave, but I will change my plans. I have no idea where I will buy the stone, I need to do a search to see what is in my area.

This is sort of another question, but has anyone used "found" driftwood in there tanks here? My brother always did and he never had a problem, I was thinking of making a trip to a river near where I live...

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
jones57742: Thanks for your help! I was planning to get a few and create a cave, but I will change my plans. I have no idea where I will buy the stone, I need to do a search to see what is in my area.
vtg: In my previous post I started to delve into surface areas with respect to volumes with specific calculations but thought about the "fallout comments razing me".

I now believe that some expression of the concept would be appropriate:
A = 4" spherical stone
B = four 2" stones to consume the approximate space of one 4" stone

The surface area of A is equal to B but the volume of A is twice that of B.

IMHO this ratio is important with respect to the following concept and the preservation of the stone in near original form.

IMHO for harder limestone (ie. many Edwards Plateau Formations) the effective mechanism is not the stone dissolving in the water but the reduction of acid in the water by direct contact with stone.

If you are "gluing" these stones together the increase in the volume/surface area ratio may be (I just do not know) that this cave might work for you for an extended period.

This is sort of another question, but has anyone used "found" driftwood in there tanks here? My brother always did and he never had a problem, I was thinking of making a trip to a river near where I live...
vtg: I have never tried this much but many folks have reported good luck.

You might consider boiling the wood in a mild chlorine solution for several hours and dechlorinating prior to placing in your tank.

TR

·
Super Moderator
8,473 Posts
i have been using "found" driftwood for decades..never had a problem..never treated it either.although for the last several years i have gotten lazy and have been buying the mopani and malaysian driftwoods..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.