Fish Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just a bought a 55g tank from a friend that was leaving to go over seas. Well he gave me a single fish with this tank and told me that the fish is a fish that is rare and he would not have enough time to get rid of it. So I did the research and after contacting him again, come to find out this fish i have is a cobra snakehead fish. He is about 15-18 long and he is very cool looking but the problem that i have is he is a very boring fish all he wants to do is eat and lay there....... This is not what I want out of a fish tank. I was also under that impression that other fish can be in the same tank after waisting 45 bucks on other fish, I soon found out that this fish had a great dinner that night. Any ways I am trying to get rid of this fish I Dont if it true or not but I am told they cant really be sold in the U.S but i am sure it happens if anyone is interested in this fish let me no. I am looking for Cichlids - African, or Cichlids - Central and South American or if i can sell this fish let me no please. I am a newbie to this so please excuse my ignorance.

I live in the Virginia beach area.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Check out this link

Do a little research through yahoo on this fish, see in which states they are banned (so you only offer them to residents of states where it's ok to ship him so you won't get in trouble) and then wait for Aquabid to come back on line. You may be able to sell him for quit a bit of money.
Besides the inadvertent dinner plate of various fish you fed him what does he eat? This link advises to use frozen beef hearts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Some bass pro shops give money or gift cards for snakeheads but they will kill them. It's illegal to own or sell them in Virginia without a permit. I wouldn't risk being prosecuted myself but thats up to you. There are very few states that don't have laws making them illegal or having a permit and getting a permit is unlikely. I wouln't sell it on aquabid either no use in causing potential problems over a few bucks. If you want the department of game and inland fisheries will dispose of it for you. Is the risk worth the reward? I'd try to find a pro shop myself.

·
Your a NOOB.
534 Posts
im caling the POlice on you! Jk. But I agree that you should give it to the bass pro shops. And for having a fish like that you might be looking at jail time and a LOT of fines. Also you might never be able to keep fish again (up to the judge). I'd get rid of it, and I recomend not saying who you aquired it from, because they will look for him to see if he has any more, and where he got it.

Also Get like a huge fishing poll if you get a gift card.

·
Super Moderator
8,455 Posts
if you had paid attention kurt;you would have noticed that this post is almost 4 years old..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts