Fish Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're making our own Tilapia fish food in Rwanda, using a grinder and extruder to make floating pellets.

As of now, our ingredients are rice, small fish, corn, soybean, and cassava (a root).

We'd like to add leaves of the Moringa tree.

Moringa leaves nutritional facts (per 100g)...
Vitamin A, 6780mcg
Vitamin C, 220mg
Calcium, 440mg
Potassium, 259mg
Protein, 6.7g

Any thoughts on how we should ratio each ingredient? Any feedback helps, as I have no idea what I'm doing.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Any thoughts on how we should ratio each ingredient? Any feedback helps, as I have no idea what I'm doing.

You and probably all of us (except loha) and I doubt he will want to give up his secret recepie

·
Super Moderator
8,459 Posts
do you have other types of fish or shellfish available ? what about other vegetables being available..preferably something dark green and leafy..
i have no idea about Moringa leaves as i have never heard of them.
if you have the plant called "duckweed"...almost any Lemnoideae species..it is easy to grow yourself and is higher in protein than soybean...just grow it..dry it and add it to the food mix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Iohachata, thanks for the response!

No other fish that I've seen. In Rwanda it's Tilapia or nothing.

The Moringa leaves are dark green, and they pack a ton of nutrition! The moringa tree has been adopted by African witch doctors and now carries a stigma that we're trying to overcome. Fortunately, Tilapia aren't superstitious.

I've read plenty about duckweed, and growing some might make my agenda for the next trip.

·
Premium Member
12,533 Posts
Do you have a way to test protein content? That seems to be how commercial food is measured.

I think its bizarre that you import hybrid tilapia and farm them when you have lots of native cichlids in your waters. They do tend to be small enough that you just eat them dried like chips, though. And we are farming asian catfish here instead of eating our natives.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts