Fish Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I am having some recent issues with my 2 Marbled Angels. I have a 29gal tank, 2 angels, 5 glo tetras, and 2 red minor tetras. Water conditions are within normal limits. Recently, my 2 angles started picking on one another. I noticed them nudging each others sides of their body. They will chase one to a corner where one will stay and hide. The weird thing is during the day (hood light on) my black marble will chase away and nudge at the white marble. But, when I turn the hood light off the white marbled comes out and goes after the black one until "he" hides in a corner. I say He but I am not sure on sexes yet. They have not laid any eggs at this point and I have not been able to determine the sexes. I thought at first maybe they were mating or I had 2 males which were starting to show dominance, but why would the roles reverse when the light is on or off? I got them as young fish in May so I have had them 5 months and never had any issues. They always got along. Neither one of them seem to bother or mind the other fish in the tank. They have me so confused and it breaks my heart to see them not getting along and confining one another the way they are. Is this normal behavior? I do not have a second tank to separate them. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance! Oh, and fins look fine at this point I do not notice any nipped fins.

·
Super Moderator
8,455 Posts
there are a few reasons why they act like this..normally they will "battle" some to establish dominance or to establish territory..but this should have already taken place for the most part..
they should be about 7 or 8 months old at this point...right about time for them to become sexually mature...they may be fighting to find if they are suitable partners...both have to be strong..
keep an eye on them and see if they start pecking on a leaf or other surface...
the female should fatten up a bit.when they are ready to spawn they will drop tubes from their vents...the female will have a thicker and more blunt tube while the male will have a thinner and more pointed tube....if you are lucky , you may catch them in the act and will be able to tell by who is dropping eggs and who isn't.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts