Fish Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I have a 92g Corner tank, planted heavily. I have 7 discus in it and 70 neon tetras.. I do water changes 80% every 3 days. My nitrates are never above 20. My Ammonia and nitrites are 0 and PH is 7.0

With this many neon tetras and fully grown discus i had since babies.. You know my tank is very healthy and clean which it is. Also temps are 80-82f

I purchased 6 Balloon Rams, which are balloon rams of the german blue rams.. Adult sized too.. $10 each..

5 died in 2 days... What the hell ? The first one that died i brought back and the petco lady was critisizing my tank saying my ph is too high at 7.0 and thats why they died.. gimme a break i know they like acidic ph but 7.0 isnt high. Personally i felt like telling her off..

Now im a bit afraid of going back in tomorrow and returning the other 4 dead ones i have.... That shes going to say its my tank, when i had discus and fish that are really sensative. Also i purchased another discus and its from that same store.. its doing fine. However apon looking at the receipt i noticed they charged me $49 , when the price was 39$ even the manager said i could get it at 39$ from 69$. I guess i didnt pay attention that they messed up..

How would i go about asking for the 10$ refunded for the correct price ? I get nervous doing that stuff. I dont want to come off as an ass but the manager was nice enough to drop it to 40$ for me and he even rung me up.. but as i said i noticed he charged 50$ not 40 i guess i was too busy talking and didnt pay atten.

I've spent about $300 in this store in the last 1-2 weeks so i dont feel like im being unreasonable on getting 50$ back from the 5 dead fish and 10$ back for the incorrect price am I ?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Their guarantee isn't conditional according to your pH. Balloon rams are an even more selectively bred fish than discus, and may actually be more sensitive, but moving from the breeder to the distriboutor, then the store before you brought them home all takes a toll on their health. Personally I prefer to buy fish that have been at the pet store for some time already, and have had time to adjust to the local water conditions (not to mention simply survive the first week or so) before bringing them home.
Better option may be to find a breeder online and have them shipped to you.

·
Darth Ichthyos
9,154 Posts
Balloon fish are simply not good fish. Your best bet is to just avoid them.

Do you have a quarantine tank? I'd suggest using it. Not only can you avoid putting disease into your tank, you can give your new fish a better chance of acclimating to your water before they get into the big tank. I've noticed that when I buy fish from the next town over, which is only two miles away, they need to be carefully acclimated or they die. I never had that problem back home.

As for your original question of how to deal with the situation--- just do it. They may not like it, but they have to honor your claim. If you get any trouble, just shop elsewhere from then on.

·
Super Moderator
8,443 Posts
not much activity for the past few years for some reason..a lot of the loss because of facebook..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts