Fish Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I want to start breeding guppys to help save feeding costs for my turtle, Tequila. I think that culling the weak and malformed ones will be a good job for her!

Before i start i want to make sure i am going to do it properly. I have about a 120$ budget. What will i need to do this and can i do it on my budget?

P.S. She is a 4 inch RES in a 20G long tank.

·
Custom User Title
443 Posts
first off the RES will need a bigger tank before fully grown. Second, to breed guppies. Get a male, two females (or any amount keeping the 1:2 ratio) put them in a tank with filter, heater, bubbles and tada they breed. Now you will have to seperate the fry to a new tank or use a divider or else they will be eated before the turtle gets them. as long as you have a place to put the tank then yes, you can do it on your budget. . * I got my guppies in a 10g*

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know Taquila will need a larger tank. I need to convince my mom to let me buy one. I am looking into a 100G glass tank. The guppys are to help feed her and so i can trade them to a pet store for supplys. If guppys are too common, what is another easy to breed fish that i can feed to my turtle and the pet stores will be more willing to trade for?

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
spend a little extra money and buy some higher quality guppies..maybe something like good 1/2 black yellows or full reds...
you can find lots of great guppies on www.aquabid.com .....
you have to be 18 to buy or sell there ; but if you aren't of age maybe your parents can help..you will need a couple of extra 10 gallon tanks for the fry..they will need to be separated by sex just as soon as you can tell males from females..you will also need a goodly amount of floating plants such as hornwort..you will also have to plan on having good quality foods available for both parents and fry..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are some more expensive strains of guppy that i can breed that i can still feed my turtle but are more expensive so i can trade them for more

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
half black yellows or pastels..moscows....and tons of others...
like i said..check www.aquabid.com..you will find hundreds there...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts