Fish Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Last night, I noticed one of my guppies acting strangely - hiding from everyone else, and his form seemed a bit droopy (ragged tail). I took him out and placed him in a 1 gal heated emergency tank to be safe, then gave him a drop of MelaFix.

Now here's the dilemma: my husband says I shouldn't have taken him out at all! He didn't "see anything wrong" with the gup's behavior and wants to return him to the tank ASAP. He believes that taking him out in the first place might've just caused unnecessary stress and the gup may not even be sick.

Am I wrong/just being too precautionary? I've seen other fish go down this route before, perhaps that's why I'm fearful.

In any case, he wants to return the gup to the tank by the end of TODAY so any input you have would be great sooner rather than later! :)

· Registered
1,430 Posts
I think isolating him was the right thing as long as the emergency tank is also filtered. Moving him again would cause more stress than leaving him in the 1g. If he starts behaving normal in the next few days you can always move him then. I would wait over the night and see how the guppy is in the morning before deciding if you want to move him back.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input! He seems completely fine as of this morning, but I still want to give it another day. I'll do a partial water change and add more MelaFix. He seems to be hanging out at the bottom of the bowl, but I think that's just because the heater is at the bottom. He swims right up to say hi when I check on him. :)

· Registered
1,430 Posts
That's good, as long as your husband allows this sort of nonsense of course ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.