Fish Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Am I missing an eyebrow?
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as I get my 75g tank, I am going to turn my 20g into a planted tank. I was thinking of a school of Giant Danios (I already have one, from the previous owners) and plants that came from the Sri Lanka region.

These are the plants I came up with, that are easy to care for:

Cryptocoryne beckettii
Cryptocoryne undulata
Cryptocoryne walkeri
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Cryptocoryne willisii
Hygrophila polysperma 'Ceylon'
Cryptocoryne x willisii "Lucens"

They all require low-medium low light conditions.

In this way, I will have created my own little biotope in my 20g. What do you guys think? Anything I should add?

· Registered
921 Posts
no giant danios. they need at least a school of 6, and a 75G tank IMO. They are called giant for a reason, and swim fast an often. they need a lot of space.

· Registered
921 Posts
pearl and leopard danios are really cool if you like danios

650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
but he is going to put them in a 20 gallon
Yes, I will be putting them into a 20g, but I am a she, not a he.

pearl and leopard danios are really cool if you like danios
That is true. I have seen both, and they are cool looking fish. I looked both up, and they do both come from the Eastern India/Sri Lanka region also. What about this. I still put the plants that I mentioned in the first post in my tank, and then I have a small school of both Zebra and Leopard Danios.

· Registered
839 Posts
Yes, I will be putting them into a 20g, but I am a she, not a he.

That is true. I have seen both, and they are cool looking fish. I looked both up, and they do both come from the Eastern India/Sri Lanka region also. What about this. I still put the plants that I mentioned in the first post in my tank, and then I have a small school of both Zebra and Leopard Danios.
im sorry really really sorry!!!

650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its all right. I am just too excited to get started! I will have to post pictures when I get the finished product.

· Registered
13 Posts
Make sure you have enough light for those cryptos. They do okay in low light, but would truly thrive if you doubled up your lighting (assuming you are going with a basic single-bulb light strip)

Also, once the cryptos get going, they can easily overwhelm a 20 gal. And if you're going with a school of Danios, you want to leave 'em some open water to move in as they are non-stop swimmers. Don't be afraid to be ruthless when pruning older yellowed and pockmarked leaves. In short, plan on getting in there at least monthly and take off anything that isn't perfect. I use good sharp scissors and nip em right off at the base.

650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks AndyTrask, that's really helpful. I never really thought of how quick they would grow. I'll add trimming aquatic plants to my monthly tasks once the tank is up and running.

· wanna be fish breeder
891 Posts
are you planning on adding a heater to the 20gal. if so you could put a school of barbs or tetras with some cories instead of danios. i personally would get tetras with cories with your plants. they are both schoolers so the schools should be like 6 each. Hope this helps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.