Fish Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 55 gallon tank with 3 gouramis, 6 rummy nose tetras, 5 (used to be 6 but I think I sucked one up in my vacuum hose by accident :() neon tetras, a handful of glass shrimp and one common pleco named Kevin. I think I really like plecos the most and wonder if my tank is big enough to accommodate any more. I would like to give Kevin a girlfriend since all his other tank mates seem to be enjoying the spawning season. I don't want to anthropomorphize my fish, but I think he is lonely. Is one cave like the one I have made for him enough for more than one pleco? How many should I get, if any? Thanks. :eek:

Ps...Kevin is about 6 inches long, the cave is about a foot long and very wide...and despite the name, I have no idea if Kevin is actually a male or a female. :angel:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,448 Posts
kevin is still just a baby..common plecos can reach 3-4 feet in length...it will eventually require a much larger home..just make sure that you have plenty of filtration on the tank........
weekly 30%-40% eater changes

·
The Pleco Guru!
166 Posts
Pleco rarley reproduce in the wild... and rarely like company, I would not add any plecos if I were you.

·
Super Moderator
8,448 Posts
Pleco rarley reproduce in the wild... and rarely like company, I would not add any plecos if I were you.
wow.....i learn something new every day...never knew that plecos rarely breed in the wild.....i wonder how they get more of them...i also did not know that they don't like company...
i must be doing it all wrong because i keep a lot of plecos together..

although i would agree with not adding another common to the tank as it would overload it , if not now , very soon..they do grow fairly fast.

·
The Pleco Guru!
166 Posts
[QUOTE=lohachata;340433]wow.....i learn something new every day...never knew that plecos rarely breed in the wild.....i wonder how they get more of them...i also did not know that they don't like company...
i must be doing it all wrong because i keep a lot of plecos together..

although i would agree with not adding another common to the tank as it would overload it , if not now , very soon..they do grow fairly fast.[/QUOTE]

Wow I did not know what I wrote until you said something, I meant common plecos rarely breed in captivity not wild... sorry! Although, it is true that common plecs in general would prefer to be alone - especially a tank that size.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I learned quickly that they put a hell of a load on your filters. Most of the mess you are cleaning from the tank is probably Kevin's.... If kevin had a friend you can count on this for sure your filter load will be stressed. I had 2 and boy were they messy, I learned to love them but hated the mess.... I wouldn't do it if I were you, and like stated they are going to get HUGE>>>>> so imagine a big mess and they are 3-4" what the mess will be like once they grow larger.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oiye! Kevin is pretty darn dirty. I do 30% water changes with the vac once a week already and some days I think it just can't wait for the weekend because my white gravel turns mostly black and brown! I knew plecos got big but I didn't think they got "catfish" big. I guess that gives me a good excuse to get a bigger tank. :) Or maybe I will have to put a pond in the green house!? Then again, Kevin came from WalMart, so who knows, he may not be the healthiest bread fish. Thanks for the advice, I think Kevin will be fine with the friends he already has for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts