Fish Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my name is Eric and I am looking for some help. Ive kept fish my entire life (I'm 45 currently) and something quite extraordinary has occurred . I have had a successful mating of a Swordtail and a Sailfin Molly. I know this is supposed to be impossible but it happened. Here is a video of one of the male offspring http://youtu.be/7HVsEnW_Mhk So I was wondering 1 Has anyone else done this ? 2 Where can I get one of the offspring DNA tested to prove this seemingly impossible mating occurred. Some of the female offspring are already looking pregnant so these fish seem to be breeding . Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to talking fish with everyone here . :)

·
Super Moderator
8,455 Posts
i think it would be your best bet to google a college that teaches ichthyology..contact them to find out for sure about the interbreeding of the species..they may also be willing to do a DNA study for you..
also.....i believe that one of our members holds a degree or 2 in the field..we'll see what TOS has to say..

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have found nothing of it on google. I will try and see if my aquaculture teachers know anything about it when school starts back up. That's a beautiful fish though.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
8,455 Posts
actually , that swordtail looks exactly like your standard run of the mill Hi-Fin Lyretail sword......notice the extremely extended gonopodium....you will need to find young males from that brood with shorter gonopodiums to breed with the females...the long ones are not so good for fertilizing females..
i did not look at the video the first time around...

and ain't no two ways about it ; that is one beautiful male....

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Welcome to FF! Hopefully there are folks here who can help you out on your search. It sounds interesting :)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Interesting. How are you so sure that the female had not mated before?

Beautiful fish either way!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Dr Frankenstein I presume hehe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts